Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Taskbar Does Not Load And Is Logging In Takes Longer Than Usuall!

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 05 January 2008 - 02:52 AM

Hi everyone, when I log onto my account, my wallpaper appears and so do my icons. Then my taskbar comes up but it is just blue and you cant press anything on it. It stays like this for about 15 seconds to 2 minutes. Also, when I type in my password on the welcome screen and press log in, it stays for a long time saying Loading your personal settings. It takes about 1 minute+ instead of normal which is about 10 seconds+. If anyone can help me with this issue, it would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Here is the screenshot of the taskbar when it does load:[attachment=3269:Blank_ta...sue__BC_.JPG]

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 05 January 2008 - 04:38 AM

The long wait while loading personal settings can be caused if you have a mapped network drive that is no longer available.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2008 - 02:34 AM

Ok well the computer has never been run on anetwork or set up to be used with a network, so do i still check for this and how?

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 06 January 2008 - 09:05 AM

This can also occur if Windows is looking for any other resource that used to be present but no longer exists. This all depends on what's loading when Windows starts.

I'd suggest that you use MSCONFIG to disable your startup items to troubleshoot this (it's designed as a troubleshooting tool - not as a permanent fix) Here's a link on how to do it: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310560

If you're able to identify a specific culprit, let us know and we'll assist you in permanently disabling it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2008 - 06:39 PM

Ok thanks, I will do it now.

#6 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2008 - 04:44 AM

I have checked and there are no unwanted/un-required start-up entries.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,413 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 08 January 2008 - 09:21 AM

It routinely takes this sytem about 2-3 minutes to go from boot to desktop available for use...I consider this normal and think it's due to the firewall holding the system in check until it's fully functional.

System closes down in about 20 seconds :thumbsup:.

One thing you might try is to defrag your system drive...fragmentation makes life hard on a system and strange situations can develop.

Louis

#8 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2008 - 05:40 PM

I have already De fragmented my drive and the firewall is the last thing to load so I don't think it would be that. Maybe if I made a new account and deleted this one could fix the problem?

#9 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 08 January 2008 - 07:02 PM

What spyware/antivirus/adaware are you running? I have notices that some motherboard utilities such as the MSI core cell or Nvida drivers/control centre have caused my older PC to take a few minutes to settle in after bootup.
If all else fails, hit the reset button.
Posted Image

#10 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2008 - 11:41 PM

..I am running CA Security Center 2007 which means CA Personal Firewall 2007, Ca Anti-Spy ware 2007 and CA Anti-Virus 2007. I am also using Ad-aware free and Spybot S&D. But I don't think it is malware related.

#11 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2008 - 04:15 AM

Have you tried creating another account and logging into that to see if the delay occurs in that?
Posted Image

#12 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2008 - 05:54 PM

Yes, I have 2 accounts (only one of them is mine) and the second one doesn't have this problem.

#13 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2008 - 07:10 AM

I had a similar problem a few months back, desktop would take ages to load, I discovered that my profile was corrupt in someway, therefore I created another account, and just copied over my documents, and removed the corrupt one, now no problems.
Posted Image

#14 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2008 - 04:34 PM

Ok thanks for that, FireKracker I will get around to that.

#15 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2008 - 06:15 PM

I have uninstalled my old Internet Security and installed all my new internet security and now the problem is still there but it is only there for 1 second so, it's not really worth fixing that, just for one second, and now as soon as I click on my logon picture, it loads instantly. I guess it was the firewall? Thanks for all of your help. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users