Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hjt Log Posting

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 PM

Posted 04 January 2008 - 09:53 PM

After reading Animal's recent post (pinned above) about the Hijack This logs, I've started PMing mods to point out such threads that need to be moved. As a result, I have a new appreciation of just how time-consuming this activity is for them. They aren't just moving logs, they're copying and pasting in the explanation about where and how to post them, and sometimes having to delete extraneous posts and PM folks to explain what happened.

So, it strikes me that modding the board could help to cut down on the logs being put in the wrong forums in the first place. I was thinking this could be done just outside the text entry box for a new post, like so:

(Click on black bar to view image full size)

Posted Image

(Don't know if you can include a link to the HJT forum, but that's what the underlining is supposed to represent.)

Just a thought....

Edited by Dialer, 04 January 2008 - 10:17 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 PM

Posted 05 January 2008 - 01:49 AM

While we can really understand where you want to help. I don't see this as a feasible option at this time. First of all it would require a major programming effort to create the modification to the existing IPB (Invision Power Board) software. Secondly it would require a rewrite for every software upgrade to the IPB software. These two things in and of itself are time prohibitive.

Additionally seeing that modification come up for every post I make would be a bit annoying after about 20 posts. Just imagine what Grinler would feel like. The moves we do make and the staff we currently have have become accustomed to that being just a part of the job. With members like you we have enough eyes, to keep the misposts, wayward for a very short period of time for the most part.

We appreciate your thoughts and ideas on how to improve Bleeping Computer. Any time you see a potential way to do things better, please don't hesitate to submit them. If it's something we can implement and it has a relatively low impact on our staff, we will surely look into it. However understand that there are things that look simple on the surface take an extraordinary amount of work behind the scenes. Time constraints are our biggest hurdle, for the most part.

Thank you again for your time to complile this suggestion.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Dialer

Dialer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2008 - 09:23 AM

Thanks for your thoughtful reply, Animal.

I had based my idea on hacks I used to make at my phpBB forum but hadn't realized it would be so difficult and time consuming on an IPB. Then again, that's probably part of why IPBs are known for being more secure than phpBBs. As for the annoyance factor, I assumed it would initially be relatively high for regular members who already know where to post HJT logs, but that it might do the trick for new members. My thinking was that after a while, the regulars would just ignore it.

Nonetheless, I'm not trying to lobby for my suggestion. :thumbsup: Just wanted you to know what my thinking was. I do understand and appreciate all the factors you cited.

#4 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 PM

Posted 06 January 2008 - 09:28 AM

just PM'd an Admin to shift one in
to the appropriate section :thumbsup:

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 PM

Posted 06 January 2008 - 12:00 PM

Maintaining forum integrity is just part of our job, and all Moderators welcome a PM about something out of place, etc.. Try as we might, we can all miss something, no matter how diligent we are in reviewing posts.
Certainly with the case of misplaced HJT logs, it involves some effort on the part of Moderators, but the object is to get the most qualified help as quickly as possible to a Member needing assistance.
Regards, and of course, THANKS for everyone for helping.
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2008 - 06:13 PM

AN idea to' throw into the pot'; have admin considered having a separate section/thread perhaps labelled, 'For attention of admin ;logs requiring moving' that admin receive email notifications about entries, in which we can place a note and a link TO the log , and admin can reply in that thread that the log has been 'seen'; also that way we can ALL see which logs HAVE been picked up on and save admin getting maybe several PM's about the same logs?

just AN idea for admin to consider to enable the board members to help with the smooth running of the board and also help prevent inappropriate postings TO logs :thumbsup:

#7 Dialer

Dialer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2008 - 07:32 PM

Good idea, Ruby! How about a pinned thread in the Misplaced HJT Logs forum? Or, if sorting out permissions would be too tricky, how about Am I infected? What do I do?? Admins and mods wouldn't necessarily have to get e-mail notification, just whoever is on line could check that thread regularly.

#8 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,286 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2008 - 04:52 PM

Good idea, Ruby! How about a pinned thread in the Misplaced HJT Logs forum?

This was an idea easy to implement and is now in place. Great idea. Thank you to everyone for your contributions.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/124974/post-misplaced-hijackthis-log-links/

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

#9 Dialer

Dialer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2008 - 04:58 PM

Excellent! Kudos to ruby1 for coming up with the solution. :trumpet: :flowers: :thumbsup:

#10 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,286 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2008 - 05:17 PM

Also I will rewrite the guidelines mentioned in this thread that were pinned in this forum. So that it includes the new process, for everyone.

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#11 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,719 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 PM

Posted 09 January 2008 - 09:15 PM

What a great idea. Thanks for implementing it. :flowers:

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#12 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2008 - 04:34 PM

thank you ,Admin, for taking the time to consider and instigate the log needing moving advise suggestion :trumpet:

:flowers: looks as though the new thread has been very busy with notifications already :thumbsup:

#13 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,286 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2008 - 02:04 PM

Edit of the original post to include the new process and link to the forum for misplced logs thread added. Process now working well. Thank you to all.

Edited Post: with new process http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/124024/a-reminder-to-our-members-regarding-malware-logs/

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users