Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bleeping Computer RSS Feeds and Syndication

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,659 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 AM

Posted 01 March 2005 - 05:18 PM

Bleeping Computer has been heavily updating their RSS capabilities for the past week or so and you may have noticed some of these changes. RSS allows you to export various information from the site and have that information reflected in a news aggregator, my yahoo, or my msn. The advantage is that you can keep abreast of the new topics, posts, tutorials, etc without actually having to visit the Bleeping Computer site. If you then see something that interests you, you can click on the link and visit the actual site to read it.

For more information about RSS you can read this tutorial:

Introduction to RSS

When exploring the site you may run into some images. When you click on these images you will have the ability to add the news feeds from our forums, tutorials, startup database, and news directly to various services or applications. I will explain how this works below.

Posted Image

By clicking on this image you can add a Bleeping Computer RSS feed directly to your MY Msn Page

Posted Image

By clicking on this image you can add a Bleeping Computer RSS feed directly to your MY Yahoo Page[/url]

Posted Image

By click on this image you can open the XML feed that you can import into a News Aggregator. More information can be found when you click on it.

Bleeping Computer also support Firefox's livebookmarks feature. Basically you take a feed and bookmark it in Firefox. Then if you enter your bookmarks you will see a new folder corresponding to that rss feed. The contents of the folder will be the individual entries from the RSS feed. These will autoupdate as new content is added to the site. To access the Livebookmarks feature, visit any page of Bleeping Computer and you will see in the bottom right of your firefox window, on the status bar, and image that looks like this: Posted Image

Simply click on that image to see a list of the Bleeping Computer livebookmarks and add it your favorites. When you add the livebookmark make sure you change the name to correspond to feeds name or firefox will automatically give it a generic name.

If you have any questions feel free to post them here.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 AM

Posted 01 March 2005 - 05:51 PM

It sounds like a great way to have Bleeping Computer wherever you surf! Very nice addition Grinler! :thumbsup:
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#3 HuckerJ

HuckerJ

• Members
  • 189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 AM

Posted 04 March 2005 - 10:32 AM

I can't get bleeping computer livemarks to work since you changed them. Do they work for anyone else?
There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary notation, and those who do not.
Posted Image - It plays, it streams, it kills WiMPs!!

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Topic Starter

• Admin
  • 43,659 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 AM

Posted 04 March 2005 - 10:44 AM

Me neither now...will look into it

#5 Grinler

Grinler