Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do People Give Fake Reviews On Amazon.com?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Mr_Freeware

Mr_Freeware

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 AM

Posted 04 January 2008 - 05:18 PM

i am looking for a book on starting a business. but i want to find something that will really help me. not something with BS motivational speaker nonsense written by someone who makes millions off of selling this kind of stuff. with every book, i see a lot of 5 star reiviews with people saying that it has good stuff in it. then theres always someone who gives it 1 star and says theres nothing there but fluff. i dont know what to believe anymore. i wonder if people who write the book or are related to them post good reviews.

i saw a review HERE that really bothered me.
http://www.amazon.com/Make-Millions-Your-I...=pd_sim_b_img_5

well heres a quote of it:

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED FOR ALL ENTREPRENEURS! January 13, 2006
By Monica Main "www.monicamain.com" (Valencia, CA USA)

It upset me to see that one negative review only because I can picture the tobacco-spitting hillbilly sitting in his (or her) roach infested (Joe's) apartment spewing a bunch of negativity about a man who does nothing more with his life than show people how to make money. Maybe that person should do more applying of the techniques rather than degrading the actual book that many people have used to become millionaires. (Or maybe that person is too busy staring at the cracks in his $200-per-month apartment walls and smoking rolled cigarettes to have time to apply any million-dollar techniques.)

All of Dan Kennedy's books are incredible and highly recommended. Yes, the man is arrogant and I personally had an altercation with him about that once. Perhaps that's why his wife left him. But, the bottom line is, who cares? He can be as arrogant as he wants to be. (His office sent me a Dan Kennedy bobble head of him sitting on a bull...yes, the man is arrogant. Anyone who makes a bobble head of himself is VERY ARROGANT.)

BUT THAT'S NOT THE POINT. He has some incredible ideas of becoming wealthy beyond your wildest dreams...actual WORKABLE ideas. He even includes a listing of resources that are worth thousands by themselves. This book is definitely worth its weight in gold about 10 times over, if not more.

This is one of my favorite Dan Kennedy books. (The other is the Ultimate Sales Letter.) It actually gives real workable million-dollar ideas and blueprints that you can use to make millions of dollars. It's a real eye opener and clued me in on quite a few things I can do that I never thought of before.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED unless you're like the Joe's Apartment hillbilly that gave the one negative review. If that's the case, just keep concentrating on the paint peeling off your crappy apartment walls and getting your daily General Hospital fix through your rabbit-eared, tin-foil rigged television set. After all, that's what is really important to someone who will never amount to anything.

the way the person really had to rub it in and say hateful things about another reviewer didnt seem quite right. i dont think a legitimate reviewer would have the need to attack another reviewer like that. i imagine that this person is associated with the writer of the book or something.

i dont know what to believe anymore. i just want a book on starting a business that is not a scam written by a BS artist. i have hatred in my bones for these type of people.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 04 January 2008 - 05:32 PM

The "reviewers" of those books are mostly just folks like you will meet on these boards. Some cooperate with the spirit of the concept (personal opinions or personal reviews) but some others seem to just like to be mean-spirited and disruptive.

Also, though, in the case of book reviews, you certainly will find fake reviews by supporters of the author and shills for the book.

If you can not weed out the false ones, you might want to try another source for information regarding the quality of the information in a specific book.

Just a suggestion.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#3 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 AM

Posted 04 January 2008 - 05:35 PM

First, I'd be reluctant to buy any book that says I can make millions.

Second, did you visit the reviewer's web site? http://www.monicamain.com/ Maybe she's too busy making her own millions to do anything with it. :thumbsup:

If I were considering buying a book like that, I'd definitely look for reviews that can be genuinely corroborated. Suggestion: see if you can get the book from your library and then make your own decision as to whether or not it's worth spending your heard-earned dollars on.

#4 Mr_Freeware

Mr_Freeware
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2008 - 05:37 PM

ok, i was just thinking that. but WHERE can i go to find professional only reviews of books. i tried searching "How to Make Millions with Your Ideas: An Entrepreneur's Guide" and reviews on google but no dice.

#5 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 AM

Posted 04 January 2008 - 05:48 PM

Well, I doubt you'll find a review of such a book in The New York Times Book Review or The New York Review of Books, but I suggest you do a Google search using more general terms than the specific title of the book you're considering. I don't mean to be pessimistic, but I doubt you're likely to find much in the way of reviews for this type of book other than at vendor sites.

However, you might try going to the publisher's web site to see if they have any reviews there. Of course, they're all going to be positive, but you might get a better idea of the viability of the book for you, depending on who wrote the reviews. Also try Googling the author's name to see what you can find out about him.

I still think you should try to get a copy from your library. Good luck!

#6 Mr_Freeware

Mr_Freeware
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2008 - 05:54 PM

the library! why didnt i think of that! i forgot those places still exist. thats an excellent idea. i think i will do that.

and as for this particular book, i wasnt planing on buying it anyway. im just trying to figure out whats scam and whats not.

Edited by Mr_Freeware, 04 January 2008 - 05:56 PM.

#7 Juha

Juha

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 04 January 2008 - 07:03 PM

Just to add to, I am usually careful about these 'how-to' books, especially those that promise me becoming a millionaire. And it sounds a bit suspicious when a reviewer attacks another reviewer in such a manner. Most reviewers simply ignore what others say, or at most say 'well, the guy must have got it wrong'. Anyway, I checked the amazon link and I can see the book has the 'Search Inside' function and you can browse few pages from the book. I also had in mind what Dialer already said, just check the book in your library and have a nice browsing through before buying.

#8 MattV

MattV

• Members
  • 736 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 04 January 2008 - 10:19 PM

The best place to get advice on starting a business would be people in your area that have started businesses that are successful. One thing you'll hear from all of them will be something along the lines of, "Be prepared to work 16 hours a day, seven days a week, for your first couple of years".

There's no quick and simple way to become fabulously wealthy with little to no effort (unless you inherit it). The amount of success one has is directly proportional to the amount of work one puts into succeeding.

#9 sphygmo

sphygmo

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 10 January 2008 - 09:21 AM

Yes, I believe that there are more fake reviewers out there than we'd like to believe. I was surfing a moisturizer one day and found only one review for the product. It was both positive and comprehensive, quite long actually! I wondered whether it was someone from the company because it knew the ingredients down to the last detail. I ended up not buying that brand anyway, but sometimes reviews just confuse me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users