Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stuck With A Database

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 kev25v6

kev25v6

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 AM

Posted 04 January 2008 - 04:45 PM

Im needing to print off labels of a set size from a database but i cant get it to work.

I have the database saved and i want to mark so many of the items to print off labels for without printing all of the list. Ive tried marking the few i want, hideing the rest and then saving as a new document and then importing the saved database to a label section in Ms Works task launcher but it still brings up all the labels in the complete database. How do i get it to print off just the few that i highlight?

Also the database shows a sign on the screen but does not print one on the label or show one in the header box at the top of the page if i click on the price box. How do i get it to print a sign on each label?

It probably sounds a bit confusing, but its even worse trying to get it to actually print the right thing.Any help much appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kev25v6

kev25v6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2008 - 03:51 AM

Ive just found out that the database was created in works 98 but the labels are to be done in office 2003. Are the two programs compatable or will the database have to be re-done in office 2003 for it to work??

#3 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 AM

Posted 06 January 2008 - 08:47 AM

What sort of 'database' is it? Access?

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 AM

Posted 06 January 2008 - 12:10 PM

Compatibility between the two can always be "iffy." You should, as far as I could determine from a search on the Web, be able to use Excel. See this information, though:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel/HA010448771033.aspx

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 kev25v6

kev25v6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2008 - 03:11 PM

It is a basically a spreadsheet database created in ms works 98. It works fine with ms works for printing labels but the problems start when trying to do things with it imported into office 2003. In works you can 'check' so many of the names to print, save it, then use the file in the works 98 label maker to print off only the 'checked' names onto labels. The labels have a price on them and the sign prints fine in works98 but it wont print in office 2003. When i try opening the label maker in office 2003 and then import the saved 'checked' database to print from it just shows every label on the list and wont print the sign onto the label. Ive tried copy and pasteing the database into excell and then importing from the new saved file but it still wont print the checked names or the sign. Is there something that isnt ticked somewhere to allow the sign to print??

#6 diego88

diego88

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 AM

Posted 08 January 2008 - 07:18 AM

Can you edit select, then print selection. You will only be able to do one at a time.

#7 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 AM

Posted 08 January 2008 - 08:43 AM

A spreadsheet is not a database. Spreadsheets are used for laying out and analyzing data. Databases are used to store data. :thumbsup: At any rate, you are going to need to see if there is a converter available because Works 98 formats are not completely compatible with Office formats. This might help get you started:
http://spreadsheets.about.com/od/otherspre...nvert_works.htm

I can't find any other converters at the moment, but I only had a couple of minutes.

#8 kev25v6

kev25v6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2008 - 02:12 PM

Its definately a database, it will only open in MS Database viewer, the basic layout of it looks like a spreadsheet. Ive just tried saving it as an excell format as per the link but there is no option to save it as .xls format. Diego88, it wont transfer just the selected few to the label program, it just brings everyone over and wants to print off pages of labels instead of just the select few. There must be some other way round to do it, its strange how an older program can do it but the newer version cant.

#9 diego88

diego88

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 AM

Posted 09 January 2008 - 06:27 AM

Google has a new free service. Google Documents. You may want to try it. Perhaps you can work with this to get what you have over to their format.

http://www.google.com/google-d-s/intl/en/tour1.html

"Create basic documents from scratch.
You can easily do all the basics, including making bulleted lists, sorting by columns, adding tables, images, comments, formulas, changing fonts and more. And it's free.

Upload your existing files.
Google Docs accepts most popular file formats, including DOC, XLS, ODT, ODS, RTF, CSV, PPT, etc. So go ahead and upload your existing files.

Familiar desktop feel makes editing a breeze.
Just click the toolbar buttons to bold, underline, indent, change font or number format, change cell background color and so on.
"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users