Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Download Outlook Express

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 harp9265

harp9265

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 04 January 2008 - 04:20 PM

I know there must be a way, but I can't find it... My Outlook Express 6 (OE6) must be corrupted, because I get the error msgs saying I'm not connected to the server, so I have to go to webmail.bellsouth.net to read my mail. I've Googled "Download Outlook Express" at the advice of AT&T tech support, but since my browser IE is version 7, I can't download OE6 from the noted sites. Can anyone tell me how/where to download either OE6 (latest version) (as AT&T recommended) or OE7 with my current system configuration? By the way, I purchased RegCure to try to fix my OE6, as their ad said it would, but it didn't fix my problem. I'm stymied...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 04 January 2008 - 04:49 PM

Have you checked your settings for OE? That's the first thing for you to do.
Open up OE. Tools/Accounts/Mail tab.
Highlight the account you wish to check.
Click on Properties/Server tab.
Incoming server: pop3
Incoming mail: mail.bellsouth.net
Outgoing mail: mail.bellsouth.net
Account name: the part before @

Check the spacing, punctuation, spelling.

If you make any changes, click OK.
Close OE, then reopen.

If it still won't connect, go back to Tools/Accounts as described above and change incoming and outgoing mail to mail.att.net

An FAQ shows a picture with both servers set at mail.bellsouth.net, yet the text says to use mail.att.net

If all is well with the settings:
What is the entire error message-including any numbers it contains?

Also, I'm confused as to why you can't download OE6 using IE7.
Using IE7, I was able to download OE6 with no problems.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 04 January 2008 - 05:19 PM.

#3 Tomo2

Tomo2

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 PM

Posted 04 January 2008 - 04:51 PM

Do you have all the server addresses and port numbers set correctly?

There is no OE7 which was hopefully going to come with IE7. If OE really is corrupted you can save all your emails in a safe place and reinstall OE6 via windows components setup in Control Panel->Add/Remove Programs->Add/Remove Windows Components

Hope that helps.

L&P, World Famous in New Zealand since ages ago!
Posted Image
Avast! Antivirus : Spybot S&D : Trend Micro Housecall : Hosts file : HiJack This
Don't be too open minded - your brains will fall out

#4 harp9265

harp9265
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2008 - 02:38 PM

Thanks for the replies... the AT&T techie prompted me to use the "bellsouth" domain, but as suggested, I went back in and changed mail and servers to "att"... I rebooted and tried OE again, but still got the error msg : " The host 'mail.att.net' could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the server name correctly. Account: 'mail.att.net', Server: 'mail.att.net', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 11001, Error Number: 0x800CCC0D "

I'm interested in what site from which you can download OE6 when using IE7. The AT&T techie told me I wouldn't have to copy all my 3-years' worth of mail folders if I downloaded OE6, that OE would somehow pick up everything I had. He said I WOULD have to copy everything if I went to Outlook 2006 or 2007. I don't want to have to save all my folders if a simple download will work.

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 06 January 2008 - 02:48 PM

The error number you receive indicates that

0x800CCC0D

The host 'server_name' could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the server name correctly. Account (your mail server name here)', Server: 'server_name', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 11001, Error Number: 0x800CCC0D

OR

The host 'server_name' could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the server name correctly. Account: (your mail server name here)', Server: 'server_name', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 11001, Error Number: 0x800CCC0D

One of the email server names in your account settings is incorrect.
You'll have to check them again.

Even if you download and install another copy of OE, you might still experience the same issues.
However, if you want to try it download from
SOFTPEDIA

You may want to back up all your OE files just in case the tech is wrong.

#6 harp9265

harp9265
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2008 - 04:21 PM

I've checked and re-checked the mail names and all were correct and consistent... while there, though, I returned them all to "bellsouth" instead of "att", just to get back to where I was when the AT&T techie walked me thru the checks... I appreciate your continued help... I'm about to Google and download "firefox" and download OE6 from that browser, since the sites wouldn't accommodate my IE ver 7 yesterday. I just tried SOFTPEDIA from IE, and that was one of the several I visited yesterday... I'm told in an error msg (again) that I must be at IE6, not IE7 to be able to download OE6...

Well, I can't download OE from FireFox either... I get the same error that my IE is a later version... I noticed that SOFTPEDIA (and I guess the others) use an IE6 executable...

Oh well, so much for that...

Would anyone suggest I do a SYSTEM RESTORE to go back in time to approx 12/21/07 when all my problems with OE started...?

Edited by harp9265, 06 January 2008 - 04:53 PM.

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2008 - 05:21 PM

I find it bizzare that you are told that you can't download OE using IE7. As I stated above, there were no problems when I downloaded and I did so using IE7.
Something is keeping your OE settings from working correctly.
Have you tried setting up another account in OE-using the same email address you have.
If not, give it a whirl-it might work. And if it does, you can delete the one that is giving you problems, but you will have to back up any messages and your address book. Once the account is deleted, so is anything in it.

As for a system restore, I'm not sure it will change anything in OE. It's certainly worth a try.

OR you could go
HERE-AT&T Free Support Download
and download the support tool to see if something there might help.

#8 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2008 - 05:50 PM

Do you have ANYTHING Norton on your computer?
I've experienced bizzare issues and have seen a lot of strange things happen because of Norton.

#9 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2008 - 07:24 PM

Queenie

Check to see if the poster has "my server requires authentication" checked.
I have AT&T & here I have to check that box or it wont work

WOuld not recommend a system restore. If it is a settings issue it wont help
In the beginning there was the command line.

#10 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2008 - 09:31 PM

Thank you Eyesee for the suggestion. That is one of the things I tend to overlook when troubleshooting OE.

Harp, to check authentication:
Open OE, use the procedure described above from Tools.

When the properties box opens, Servers tab.

Look under Outgoing Mail. Is my server requires authentication checked?
If not, check it, click APPLY, close out OE. Open it back up, do you still get an error message?

#11 harp9265

harp9265
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2008 - 11:00 AM

No Norton on my system...

I checked the authentication box, restarted OE and STILL get the error... As far as SYSTEM RESTORE is concerned, I have tried, to no avail, to do that, and I've incrementally stepped backwards all the way to 10/26 without being able to get a RESTORE... I'm about to haul this Dell Dimension 2350 to a shop, perhaps even get rid of it... it's 5 years old, anyway, so maybe I ought to chuck it... It's probably seen its better days...

I thank all of you for your indulgence and support!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users