Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Legal Use Of Xp Product Key

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mmoore4

mmoore4

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 PM

Posted 04 January 2008 - 03:52 PM

I have a Dell PC and 2 laptops (one Dell and one Vaio) factory loaded with XP home or XP pro. I just bought a new Gateway PC with Vista. I want to load my new computer with XP until more Vista-related support is available for my previously purchased software.

I seems to me that I have 3 legit copies of Windows XP with appropriate product registration keys.

Is it "legal" to load the XP OS to my new system? How can I do this? The OS XP disks that came with each system is specific (I think) to the PC or laptop that it came with.

Thanks,

mm

Edited by mmoore4, 04 January 2008 - 03:52 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 04 January 2008 - 04:12 PM

I'm not in any position to give legal advice, but I suspect that your EULAs for the 3 legit copies limit your licenses for installation of each OS to only one machine. Besides, if you try to register one of the XP copies for the Gateway machine, you'll probably be denied because of the key already being used by another one. So that means you won't be able to download updates, among other possible problems (perhaps also negating your license to the original machine it's installed on).

You should probably verify your warranty under Gateway before you change OS, in any event.

I'd be happy to be contradicted by someone with more specific knowledge. :thumbsup:

Edited by Dialer, 04 January 2008 - 04:14 PM.

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 04 January 2008 - 04:17 PM

OEM licenses (the ones that come with preinstalled versions of Windows) prohibit transferring the license to another computer.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 04 January 2008 - 04:22 PM

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/45367

http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/005512.html

I think your best bet would be to contact Gateway and hope for the best.

Your question about the licenses was pretty desperate, the terms of the OEM license are clear. One license, one system. A license for one version of Windows is no way construed to be a license for a totally different version, whether older or newer.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 04 January 2008 - 07:47 PM.

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,530 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 PM

Posted 04 January 2008 - 04:46 PM

In actuality YOUR license agreement(on your disks or wherever) tells you if you can.
Generally it works like this .. a computer that came with xp installed is one type of oem version and remains with the computer, then, another type of oem is a retail version that was purchased as a stand alone program, meaning it did not come installed on a computer, and that oem version can go from machine to machine, providing that it's not one more than one machine at a time.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 mmoore4

mmoore4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2008 - 04:50 PM

Thanks for the insight. My problem is that I paid for Vista but do not want to use it. I have paid for XP 3 times and want to use it instead. I seems to me that this should be possible. If not, it doesn't seem right. Are there any other options?

What about this...I have a new HP PC at work with a XP product key sticker on it. One of the IT guys says that the key has not been "used" b/c all of their new PCs get a "mirror" copy of XP OS installed along with all of the requisite work-related software (it is a very large organization). Do you think that this would work if I had a copy of XP? My IT guy says that copies of XP w/o keys should be available legally. Is this true? Can I download a copy of XP?

MM

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 AM

Posted 04 January 2008 - 06:02 PM

If your system uses Vista Business or Ultimate, contact Gateway and ask if a downgrade licence is available to use XP Pro:

http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/005512.html

Edited by Platypus, 04 January 2008 - 06:04 PM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#8 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 PM

Posted 04 January 2008 - 07:09 PM

Do a little homework first.

Go to the Gateway website & look up your computer. See if there are drivers available for your system & XP.
Wont do much good to downgrade if none of your devices (sound, video, NIC etc) will work anymore!
Post the model number & we will look it up for you
In the beginning there was the command line.

#9 mmoore4

mmoore4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2008 - 11:56 PM

Thanks Eyesee. Sorry for the delayed response. I appreciate everyone's help.

The new system is a Gateway - Q6600 Desktop Model: GM5632E and I have a Sceptre x22WG-gamer LCD monitor. I had problems with the monitor when I first started the system. I could only get it to work with VGA connection- the DVI and HDMI had no signal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users