Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Motherboard And/or Upgrade Suggestions, Please

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MattV

MattV

• Members
  • 736 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 AM

Posted 04 January 2008 - 01:43 PM

In 2001, I bought an HP Pavilion 7955 (specs.). It still serves me well, but I have made a few improvements.

I have replaced the original HD with a 100G Maxtor drive, and recently added another 300G drive. I have added 512M RAM, bringing the total up to 768. When the original CD drive crapped out, I put in a Lite-On CD/DVD R/W drive. (I had to do that before I changed out the c: drive, since I wanted to install XP clean, and I needed to copy a whole lot of stuff to DVD first.) The original DVD-R is still in there - it hasn't been used a whole lot.

The original motherboard is running a P4 at 1.5G. So it's old and slow. What I'm looking for is advice on how I can either speed up the system, or if that is not feasible, the most painless way to replace the MB. My biggest problem is that I have been using the HP recovery CDs for this particular machine whenever I have needed to re-install the OS - I doubt if they would work on anything but the HP 7955. So I would also have to buy XP if I swap out the MB.

Would I be better off buying a kit and starting from scratch? I have never built a computer from the ground up, but I am sure it would not be outside of my abilities. I have not been able to find specs. for this power supply. If I do build, I'm wondering if the one that's in this computer now would be adequate, since there are a few things in this machine that I wouldn't be putting into a new one. Or would age warrant buying a new P/S?

So, any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Lucky23

Lucky23

• Members
  • 304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 AM

Posted 04 January 2008 - 02:15 PM

under the specifications it doesn't say if your able to upgrade the processor so you might have the fastest processor that your motherboard is able to handle.

If you build one you should get all new parts. The power supplies that come with a computer are normally really low wattage.

You could probably reuse the DVD drive and maybe hard drives if you dont mind being on IDE. Most hard drives now will be SATA II
Centurion 5 Case~GA-P35-DS3L Rev2.0~E6550~EVGA 8800GS~3GB GSkill~Cooler Master 650 PRO~Seagate 320GB SATA II~ 2 ASUS 20X Burners~Sound Blaster Audigy SE~ZeroTherm CF900~Acer 22" P221W

#3 MattV

MattV
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 736 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2008 - 10:43 PM

You think there's any way of speeding this one up a bit? Just curious.

#4 Lucky23

Lucky23

• Members
  • 304 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2008 - 11:42 PM

Take the side of your case off and look at the motherboard. There should be the motherboard model number printed on it. If you can get the model number we might be able to see if you can put a faster processor in it.

I got a compaq computer and my motherboard model number is really close to the RAM in white letters and numbers.

Also your able to upgrade your RAM to 1.5GB so that will help a little but your looking at around $50 for each 512mb stick. You obviously have 1 512mb stick and 1 256mb stick so you would need 2 more 512mb sticks and ditch the 256mb stick.

Edited by Lucky23, 04 January 2008 - 11:57 PM.

Centurion 5 Case~GA-P35-DS3L Rev2.0~E6550~EVGA 8800GS~3GB GSkill~Cooler Master 650 PRO~Seagate 320GB SATA II~ 2 ASUS 20X Burners~Sound Blaster Audigy SE~ZeroTherm CF900~Acer 22" P221W

#5 MattV

MattV
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 736 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2008 - 12:21 PM

Also your able to upgrade your RAM to 1.5GB so that will help a little but your looking at around $50 for each 512mb stick. You obviously have 1 512mb stick and 1 256mb stick so you would need 2 more 512mb sticks and ditch the 256mb stick.

I've actually got 3 256M sticks.

The computer is fine for most things. There are simply a lot of things out today that require, at a minimum, a P4 processor running at 2+ G. The longer I think about it. the closer I get to ordering a "bare bones" kit from TigerDirect or some such.

#6 Lucky23

Lucky23

• Members
  • 304 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2008 - 12:58 PM

You can probably build one from bottom up. I would check newegg because tigerdirect is normally more expensive.

Also with games and such that require a P4, thats a minimum requirement. Even me with having a 2.8 P4 doesn't help very much thats why im doing a new build.

Surfing the web and such is faster with the P4 then my previous 2.93 Celeron D but overall gaming didnt inprove much mainly cuz im on PCI. You have AGP which is better then PCI but still both AGP and PCI are out dated now for gaming so you have to upgrade to PCIe.

Dual/quad core is where you need to go if building a new system.

Also since you have 3 256mb chips then that would mean you need 3 512mb to max out your RAM totaling $150
You also have AGP slot so you could get a better graphics card which would be around $80-$100

If your just planning on surfing the web doing programs like Word then the RAM will help but if your planning on gaming you might be in the same boat as me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users