Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cpu fan squeal

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 erythritis

erythritis

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 01 March 2005 - 04:09 PM

my motherboard/cpu is less than two years old (i could get exact if i had to) and the fan recently started squealing upon startup. it lasts for a few minutes before going away. it only happens if the computer is "cold" - if i turn it off and right back on a couple minutes later, nothing happens. the squeal is accompanied by horizontal lines at the top of my monitor. they both go away about the same time.

i don't remember for sure, but it may have started the same time that i purchased and installed a new agp video card.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2005 - 04:46 PM

Open the case and look at the fans as you boot up. The lines on the monitor indicate it might be the fan on your video card if there is one. Also make sure the noise isn't coming from your power supply or any other internal fan. Make sure you are grounded to the case if you touch anything but only do that if the power is off.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 01 March 2005 - 09:48 PM

Try and isolate the effected part. Take the video card out of the system and replace it (for the moment) with your old card and see if the problem goes away. If it remains, BRIEFLY unplug the processor fan and power up. From your note you should be able to tell pretty quick if you find the problem. Replug the processor fan after your check! The power supply fan.... stick you ear next to it and rap the side of the supply... the pitch or intensity of the noise should change. If these things aren't making your noise... two more things I have seen. The monitor may have a bad flyback in it and will make a high pitch whine. The floppy can also go spastic and make a very wierd sound. Basically... you have a process of elimination. Good luck.

and for the record... replace a failing fan quickly. It is far cheaper than a crispy component! :thumbsup:

Rigel

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#4 fancyjeff

fancyjeff

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2005 - 05:59 AM

There is must be lots of dust stick on your computer fun.

unequip it carefully(don't destroy your cpu) and clean it.

if possible add some oil into the fun motor. (uncover the brand )

I think it works.

Good luck :-) if it works, tell me
I hope I can answer your questions as many as I can, and also I will be appreciated if you can answer my questions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users