Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Computer No Longer Allows Me To Defrag

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

#1 Luciddreamer92

Luciddreamer92

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 AM

Posted 04 January 2008 - 09:24 AM

Sorry for the two questions but I am at a loss of how to get my computer (Compaq ME) to defrag and this is slowing the system down horribly.
I also can't get it to ScanDisk when online.

Can you advise me what might be causing this and what I can do about it?

Kind Regards,

Pete :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2008 - 10:10 AM

Do you get any error messages when you attempt to defrag? How far do you get in the process?
Be sure you have enough free space on your hard drive (approximately 15 percent of the total space should be free) for the process to work.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 JPeterman

JPeterman

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2008 - 10:42 AM

Scandisk when online? When running scandisk, or defraq, you really shouldn`t be doing anything but running scandisk, or defrag.

#4 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 04 January 2008 - 11:50 AM

both of these system tools need to be run individually when the computer is OFF line and when no other 'work' is required from /of the machine :flowers:

when, if ever, HAVE you managed to run the defrag program and how long have YOU had the computer , presumably from new? :thumbsup:

#5 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2008 - 12:13 PM

Agree that the system should be idle during both processes.
Most likely something running in the background is causing the probem

Have you tried it in safe mode yet?
Tap F8 repeatedly when your computer boots up & select safe mode from the startup menu.
If it works then, you have confirmed the problem to be a background app
In the beginning there was the command line.

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 04 January 2008 - 01:21 PM

I agree with eyesee. Back in the day, it was recommended to defrag in safemode and to have the screensaver set to "none" so it wouldn't come on and interrupt the process
Mark

Edited by garmanma, 04 January 2008 - 01:22 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2008 - 06:37 AM

did this computer yet complete a scan disc or defrag (hopefully while OFF line and preferably run in safe mode)? if not you will probably need help to sus out why you still have this problem :thumbsup:

#8 Luciddreamer92

Luciddreamer92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2008 - 08:27 AM

Hi,

Thanks, did defrag and worked well when computer was offline and in safe mode.

The Scandisk (deep scan) got to about 68,000 and froze up, it too was done offline. Thanks for your help guys it really makes a difference!

Cheers Pete,

Oh I have noticed a weird icon on my right bottom tool line next to the computers icon and winzip etc, it looks like a metal hamburger with a red centre with touches of yellow inside, have clicked it looked for it etc but no luck, god knows what it is because it looks so odd, any ideas?

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 04 February 2008 - 09:35 AM

I'm sure you're describing it properly, but it doesn't ring any bells, for me at least. Is it possible to get a screenshot and post it here? You can use MSCONFIG to see what is running at startup and determine if they are all legitimate
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#10 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 960 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2008 - 11:24 AM

As I said in your other post you have a lot of things running that don't need to be run. As already mensioned nothing should be running while you are Scandisking or Defraging.

Last night I did a Scandisk and it came up with the error its tried to start Scandisk 10 times do you want to continue. I clicked yes and also did a Ctrl+Alt+Del to see what else was running and Internet Explorer was running. I end tasked it and it Scandisked without a problem. :thumbsup:

Actually this is a problem I've had for a few months. You close IE6.0 SP1 and there's nothing in the taskbar but Task Manager still says it running. This doesn't happen everytime though.

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#11 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 04 February 2008 - 11:59 AM

Hello Luciddreamer92,

I see you have a HJT log posted in the HijackThis Logs and Malware Removal - Misplaced HJT Logs forum.
You can find it Here.

Some of the symptoms you are describing here, could be malware related.

If you continue with your HijackThis Log Topic, this topic will be closed, until you are cleared by the HJT Team.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to send me a PM.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#12 Luciddreamer92

Luciddreamer92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2008 - 10:59 PM

Thanks all and especially Eyesee, it worked in SAFE mode really well but thanks all! :thumbsup::flowers:

#13 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 960 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2008 - 07:44 AM

it worked in SAFE mode really well but thanks all! :thumbsup::trumpet:

Yes but it should also work in normal mode without any problems. You still have a lot of software running that doesn't need to be. Run: Msconfig to see what it says under the Startup tab? :flowers:

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#14 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 05 February 2008 - 08:32 PM

Now that you have an open HJT log posted in the HijackThis Logs and Malware Removal forum, you shouldn't make any changes to your system.
Doing so, could change the results of the posted log, making it difficult to properly clean your system.

At this point, the HJT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

I'm closing this topic until you are cleared by the HJT Team.
If, after your log has been cleaned, you still need help, please PM a Moderator and we will re-open this topic.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to send me a PM.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users