Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Won't Detect Lan Settings

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Torres

Torres

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 04 January 2008 - 08:11 AM

I have recently wiped my desktop computer using Killdisk and have re-installed XP Home SP 2. When I try to open IE it wont connect to the internet. i have gone into connections and have it set to detect LAN settings automatically. I have the desktop hardlined to a Linsys wireless router which is connected to my ADSL Modem. I still have wireless internet via my laptop, so everything is good on that end. I have ran out of ideas for why this would be happening. i did this to an old laptop of mine and it connected to the internet just fine. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Edit: Moved topic to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 04 January 2008 - 09:10 AM

Did you reload all the drivers after you re-installed XP.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 JSteele

JSteele

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2008 - 10:58 AM

Torres,

I would check if your network card is installed with all the drivers (like budapest posted).

Go into Control Pannel
System
Hardware Tab
Device Manager

Look for anything with a '?' or '!' next to it.

Good luck

#4 Torres

Torres
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2008 - 06:07 PM

My entire "other devices" section has a ? and ! next to each one. I have never dealt with this so I don't even know where to start. I have been trying to find driver downloads on the web but don't feel too confident about what I am doing. The listed devices missing drivers are "Ethernet Controller, PCi device, PCI Simple Communications Controller, and Video Controller (VGA Compatible). Again I have no idea where to look to find these drivers. It is an old computer and i dont have any disks for it. Thanks for the help.

#5 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 04 January 2008 - 06:41 PM

Hi Torres, if you do not have the system drivers cd that may of come with your PC you will have to post your PC specs. If you do not know what it is go to this link http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html and it will give you all the info. But only post the hardware specs as the software is not required.
MCP
MSDST

#6 Torres

Torres
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2008 - 07:50 PM

I appreciate everyone's help, but I figured it out. i went to the manufacturer's website and they had everything I needed. Again, thanks a lot for pointing me in the right direction. Now the only problem is my C: drive is name I: and i dont know how to change it back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users