Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Acer Aspire 4720 Linux Installation

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Kiran India

Kiran India

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 AM

Posted 04 January 2008 - 12:46 AM

Hi :thumbsup:
I am getting a brand new Acer 4720 notebook today, The sub-dealer has told me Linux has not pre-load, you will be getting CD to install, you have wait 3 hours to get get the notebook,
but the Acer website shows Acer" Operating system: Linux "
"
I straightaway told i will install Linux, but i have never install Linux, but i have formate/install XP in desktop

Please help Step by Step Installation.

I have little bet of Q?

> I want to install Window Vista or XP but later! what is the best partition should i create before i installing Linux.{ TOTAL 160GB }

> It is necessary to install window first before installing Linux

> Is Linpus Linux is user friendly to install.

> When i get the Notebook what should i do first!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 madman6510

madman6510

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 04 January 2008 - 07:19 PM

You will need to install windows first, unfortunately. Windows does not recognize Linux when you install it, and will either just write over it, or if it does keep it, not add it to the bootloader. This can be worked around, but is not fun or easy. It would be better to just make a backup and then install Wndows, then Linux. I have never used (or heard of) Linpus Linux, so I would not know, but if it comes with the PC then the OEM should have picked an easy to use distro.

When you get your laptop, I would install the OS that comes with it (if not already installed.) Poke around in the OS, and if you don't like it, or need help, me or someone else here can help you.

#3 Kiran India

Kiran India
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2008 - 01:28 AM

When I switch it on, it starts to boot & it end with

[root@localhost /]#

Anything I type results in Command Not Found.

I have absolutely no idea what to do, please help!

Edited by Kiran India, 05 January 2008 - 01:30 AM.

#4 madman6510

madman6510

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2008 - 02:19 PM

I assume you got the install CD with the system? Put it in the computer and restart, then follow the instructions. (Most installers are fairly straightforward).

If you didn't get a CD, try typing "startx" at that prompt, and it should get you to a desktop (or login screen, in which case you would just use root as the username).

If it still doesn't work, you will either have to install the x server yourself (with the download speeds on the Linpus servers, that will definitely not be fun), or get on the internet and download another distribution that works. (Easy, download takes about an hour on broadband and then you just burn the .ISO to disk with recording software).

Ubuntu (here) is a good replacement choice, simple with support for most systems.

Edited by madman6510, 05 January 2008 - 02:36 PM.

#5 Kiran India

Kiran India
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2008 - 05:38 PM

" Startx " is not a comment for Linpus Linux

As you earlier reply i am trying to installing xp, my HD is SATA, so ..... this section is for Linux!

#6 batteryfast

batteryfast

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2009 - 09:00 PM

i'm fir from malaysia.. can this list of acer empowering tools work on my already installed XP aspire 4720 battery? i learn that it only works on vista? is it right?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users