Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Good Free Virus Protection?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Anine

Anine

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 03 January 2008 - 11:08 PM

im looking for some good free virus protection and spyware protection... any suggestions?
Rawr

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,564 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 AM

Posted 04 January 2008 - 12:16 AM

See BC's Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps and List of Virus & Malware Resources.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,114 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2008 - 12:22 AM

Hello and welcome

I'll go with that you use XP
You can choose from here Freeware Replacements

I may suggest Use only 1 Antivirus and firewall
Antivir

SuperAntispyware (Update weekly and before scans)
SpywareBlaster
Comodo BOClean

Edited by boopme, 08 January 2008 - 02:44 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 Anine

Anine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2008 - 02:37 PM

ok thank you for the help =)
Rawr

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,114 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2008 - 02:45 PM

You're Welcome
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 Softix

Softix

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2008 - 12:34 AM

When it comes to anti virus software I still prefer AVG anti virus. It doesn't lagged up my pc and it was easy to download as well. It also removes trojan viruses which I think is really hand and good.

#7 Rittnasty

Rittnasty

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 25 January 2008 - 11:44 AM

When it comes to anti virus software I still prefer AVG anti virus. It doesn't lagged up my pc and it was easy to download as well. It also removes trojan viruses which I think is really hand and good.

Agreed, AVG is sweet! I was using Symantec AV and it killed my system, especially with the Real-time Virus Scan always running in the background. In conjunction with AVG Free Ed.,I also use Comodo as my Firewall program and Webroot Spysweeper for Spyware...stellar combination.

Edited by Rittnasty, 25 January 2008 - 11:44 AM.

"And if it is evil in your eyes to serve the Lord, choose this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your fathers served in the region beyond the River, or the gods of the Amorites in whose land you dwell. But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15 (ESV)

Thoughtvent.com

#8 Jaheebajizzle

Jaheebajizzle

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2008 - 11:48 AM

I also agree. AVG is one of the best antivirus products I've used. I've been through Norton, Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition, Avast, and AVG. AVG seems to be the best option for me because it's very light on system resources. Avast is a little heavier (Not as bad as most) but it does give better real time protection from what I've seen.
"When I was an Alien... Cultures weren't opinions." - Kurt Cobain

#9 Teenage.Zombiee

Teenage.Zombiee

• Members
  • 831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 PM

Posted 26 January 2008 - 06:52 AM

IMO AVG Anti Virus a bit of a resource hog when it updates. Also. AVG for XP didn't make the VB100.. but its up to you what you choose.

I myself use AVAST home edition (free of couse :thumbsup: ) in combination with Super Anti Spyware Free and Spybot S&D :flowers:

Teenage.Zombiee is back ! :halloween:

#10 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 26 January 2008 - 09:25 AM

it would help tremendously to know which windows version you are using and how you connect to the internet|( and who your ISP is ) as you may already have some protection on there you do not yet know about :thumbsup:

how old is the computer and from where obtained as it may even have dear old Norton sitting there 'waiting' :flowers:

#11 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 27 January 2008 - 06:02 PM

I have been doing research on quite a few AV products, And while AVG is ok, it is far from easy to remove. I am using avast at the moment and it is rating the highest in my opinion.
Regards,

Alan.

#12 Groffeaston

Groffeaston

• Members
  • 516 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2008 - 01:58 PM

Hello everyone,

I have Spybot,McAfee,Windows Defender and my ISP is AOL. I am also concerned about spyware,virus,and trojan detection. I have had 3 or 4 trojans on my computer already since I bought it in May of 2007. Are these programs that I have sufficient? or should I Look for something better? When I say trojans, I am not talking about condoms either! :inlove: So do not even go there! :trumpet: Sorry I always wanted to say that! :thumbsup:

I know Stop trying to be a comedian! :flowers:

#13 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,114 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2008 - 02:24 PM

Hi Groffeaston, You may consider adding SpywareBlaster 3.5.1. Which firewall are you using?

#14 Groffeaston

Groffeaston

• Members
  • 516 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2008 - 01:00 AM

Hello "boopme",

My Windows Security Center Shows both McAfee Personal Firewall and Windows Defender are on. I know it says not to have 2 firewalls active at the same time. But, then I get an alert saying my computer is not protected,when I deactivate one of the two. So, what should I do? They both came installed with the computer.

Matt "Groffeaston"

#15 Teenage.Zombiee

Teenage.Zombiee

• Members
  • 831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 PM

Posted 31 January 2008 - 02:23 AM

Whats the second firewall?
If its windows firwall you should be fine to disable it.

Teenage.Zombiee is back ! :halloween:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users