Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Zonealarm Firewall And Security Programs

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 AM

Posted 03 January 2008 - 10:54 PM

Hey guys, my subscription for my internet security suite (CA) is almost finished and I think that I am going to use free security programs from now on. For the anti-viral program, I think I will use AVG free, for anti-malware I will be using ad-aware free edition and Spybot - Search and Destroy, and for my firewall I am going to use Zone Alarms firewall. DO you think that this is a good combination of security or should I change them. I am sure that AVG Free and Spybot -S&D have real-time protection which is pretty much vital.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,912 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 04 January 2008 - 12:10 AM

Looks preety good, If Xp, I may add SpywareBlaster and I prefer the Comodo firewall.
These can be found here
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2008 - 07:34 PM

Well, if I add SpywareBlaster, that means I am going to have 3 anti-spyware programs and isn't that too much? Also, is there really any difference between Comodo and ZoneAlarm?

Also, before I forget, does SpywareBlaster have real-time protection?

Edited by dgraziani28, 04 January 2008 - 07:36 PM.

#4 SpySentinel

SpySentinel

• Staff Emeritus
  • 2,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 04 January 2008 - 08:15 PM

SpywareBlaster does not have real-time protection. SpywareGuard, made my the same company is the real-time protection.
Posted Image
Unified Network of Instructors and Trained Eliminators

Posted Image

My help is always free, but if you can, please Posted Image to help me continue the fight against malware.

#5 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2008 - 02:37 AM

Well, I think I will stick with what I have, it seems to be good and it isnt worth buying a protection program in my point of view. Spybot S&D has real-time protection anyway. :thumbsup:

#6 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,847 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2008 - 11:37 PM

The beauty of SpywareBlaster is it keeps spyware from getting on your computer in the first place by adding code to the computer which does the blocking. All you have to do is periodically update the program. In fact, the makers of Spybot highly recommend having it on your computer.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#7 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2008 - 02:31 AM

Ok now that you have told me more detail about it, I might look into SpywareBlaster. So, should I have Ad-aware free, Spybot S&D and SpywareBlaster? Isnt that overloading it? Thanks for all of your replys! :trumpet: :thumbsup: :flowers:

#8 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2008 - 06:44 AM

Instead of Ad Aware & Spybot, you should use AVG Anti Spyware & Super Anti Spyware. Those two are more effective these days. And you're only using them as on demand scanners so it's not overload. I scan with both of them weekly.

#9 SpySentinel

SpySentinel

• Staff Emeritus
  • 2,090 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2008 - 07:07 PM

SpywareGuard is free as well and provides real-time protection
Posted Image

Posted Image

My help is always free, but if you can, please Posted Image to help me continue the fight against malware.

#10 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2008 - 09:55 PM

Ok thanks for all of your opinions and replys! :thumbsup: This is what programs I will have on my computer Comodo Firewall, AVG Free, SpywareBlaster and SpywareGaurd. Is this a good combination of security? Thanks! :flowers:

(Meaning that I uninstall Ad-aware free and Spybot S&D.)

Edited by dgraziani28, 06 January 2008 - 10:00 PM.

#11 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,912 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2008 - 10:15 PM

That looks pretty good. I would only add the free home version of . SUPERAntiSpyware . Use it as an on demand tool. Updating it at least weekly and before a scan.

Edited by boopme, 06 January 2008 - 10:18 PM.

#12 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2008 - 06:20 PM

Wait, can I confirm tht Spybot S&D has real-time protection (Is that TeaTimer or something) THanks! :thumbsup:

#13 SpySentinel

SpySentinel

• Staff Emeritus
  • 2,090 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2008 - 07:34 PM

Yes Spybot's TeaTimer and SD-Helper are the real-time protection.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#14 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2008 - 09:33 PM

Ok thanks, I will use Spybot S&D as well as Ad-aware, AVG Free and Comodo Firewall. Thanks for all of you help everyone!

#15 blackchaos93

blackchaos93

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 PM

Posted 08 January 2008 - 12:18 AM

I'm not going to dissuade you, but I was recently infected with a Trojan Dropper, I'm not exactly sure what the name was. I had Comodo Firewall, but somehow it got infected with something and it started going haywire so I couldn't go on the internet at all. I switched to ZoneAlarm and I don't have the problem anymore.
I hate my life :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users