Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Svchost.exe

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 flyer84

flyer84

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 03 January 2008 - 10:03 PM

Everytime I start my computer and sign in there is a window that pops up saying the svchost.exe needs to be shut down. I click Don't Send or Send Error Report. This happens each time the computer is started or re-started. What do I do to fix this problem? Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,595 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 AM

Posted 03 January 2008 - 11:01 PM

Can you provide the exact (complete error message)?

Svchost.exe is a generic host process name for a group of services that are run from dynamic-link libraries (DLLs) and can run other services underneath itself. This is a valid system process that belongs to the Windows Operating System which handles processes executed from DLLs. It runs from the registry key, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Svchost where details of the services running under each instance of svchost.exe can be found. At startup, Svchost.exe checks the services portion of the registry to construct a list of services that it needs to load.

It is not unusual for multiple instances of Svchost.exe running at the same time in Task manager in order to optimise the running of the various services.

svchost.exe SYSTEM
svchost.exe LOCAL SERVICE
svchost.exe NETWORK SERVICE

Each Svchost.exe session can contain a grouping of services, therefore, separate services can run, depending on how and where Svchost.exe is started. This grouping of services permits better control and easier debugging. The process ID's (PID's) are not static and can change with each logon but generally they stay nearly the same because they are running services all the time. The PID's must be checked in real time to determine what services each instance of svchost.exe is controlling at that particular time. Read "How to determine what services are running under a Svchost.exe process".

You may be able to see the error by looking in the Event Log. Read "How To Use the Event Viewer Applet". You can then gather more information doing a search of the Event ID number at:

"EventID.Net".
"Windows Security Log Events".
"Events and Errors Message Center".
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 flyer84

flyer84
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 03 January 2008 - 11:30 PM

The exact message says "SVCHOST.EXE has encountered a problem and needs to close.
We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Then I clicked on view error message and copied the following information:
AppName: svchost.exe AppVer: 5.1.2600.2180 ModName: unknown
ModVer: 0.0.0.0 Offset: 00407758

However I was unable to copy the details because it would not let me highlight or copy it. I have recorded some of it and it looks like this:
Exception Information
Code: 0xc0000000000000000 Flags: 0x00000000
Record: 0x0000000000000000 Address: 0x0000000000407758

System Information
Windows NT 5.1 Build: 2600
CPU Vendor Code: 756E6547 - 49656E69 - 6C65746E
CPU Version: 00000F29 CPU Feature Code: BFEBFBFF
CPU AMD Feature Code: 00D1E824

Then it just goes on about different Modules and a bunch of numbers. I hope this is enough information to help you determine what my problem is?? I believe that I have a SVCHOST.EXE process which is spyware or something. I just need to get rid of the one that is causing the problem I think. Let me know what you think. Thanks again

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,595 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 AM

Posted 03 January 2008 - 11:47 PM

If you do a Google search, you will find this error is a common complaint by many users with no single solution. What works for one person may not work for another.

Generic Host Process for Win32 Services" error message after you start the computer

What type of anti-virus are you using? Have you performed any anti-spyware scans? Have you tried doing your scans in "Safe Mode"? Are you doing scans while logged into the "Administrator Account" or an "account with administrator privileges"?

I would start by doing your scans first to ensure there is no malware on your system. Also perform an Online Virus Scan like BitDefender.
(These require Internet Explorer to work. Watch the Address bar in IE. You may receive alerts that "This site might require the following ActiveX control...Click here to install...". Click on that alert and then Click Install ActiveX component. If given the option, choose "Quarantine" instead of delete.)

If no malware is found, then try some of the suggestions in the Google links and MS site.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users