Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Finally Thinking About Upgrading

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bgardner

bgardner

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 03 January 2008 - 08:29 PM

I had this computer custom built for me i'd say 4-5 years ago, and has been working like a charm ever since, But I think its time to upgrade. I was thinking of doing a clean install of Windows Vista, is this even possible to erase a hard drive 100% and start from scratch using everything as is? I just have to many old programs and a lot of junk files that I really dont need anymore, and want to try and move on from it.

Here are some of the specs, Im not to good at hardware stuff so let me know if i can help more.

XP Professional (I could reinstall XP Clean from a few years back but that be stupid right?)
P4 Processor 2.00 Ghz
1.99 GHz, 512 MB of Ram

I know its got a syntax motherboard, and a 40GB hard drive, thats Its all custom built and I had a trusted friend do it for me that does this stuff day in and day out,

Im wondering if this power supply and the hardware inside is usable to turn into a modern PC.

Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Lucky23

Lucky23

• Members
  • 304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 03 January 2008 - 09:52 PM

I dont think you can load vista onto your computer because vista requires 2GB of RAM minimum if im not mistaken.

It might be better at looking into upgrading the whole computer.
Centurion 5 Case~GA-P35-DS3L Rev2.0~E6550~EVGA 8800GS~3GB GSkill~Cooler Master 650 PRO~Seagate 320GB SATA II~ 2 ASUS 20X Burners~Sound Blaster Audigy SE~ZeroTherm CF900~Acer 22" P221W

#3 bgardner

bgardner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2008 - 07:48 AM

Thanks for the response..... I'm curious about what vista Requires as far as the minimum RAM vs what the RAM would be to not see any lag when it runs. Looking through the microsoft websites, I know vista can be upgraded as a clean install, and it even notes it can be upgraded from some windows 2000 machines, which i would expect dont have 2 GB of RAM, I'm wondering if I should just do a new build.

I got really bummed out when I went to play Call of Duty 4 last night after I just spent $50 bucks on it, and the video card said no way.

#4 Lucky23

Lucky23

• Members
  • 304 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2008 - 12:48 PM

Im currently in a new build also. These new games almost require the dual core processors and a good graphics card to play smoothly. 4-5 years out of a comp is pretty good and you can still use it for a spare but to play games like COD4 your probably going to have to upgrade.

I just got Team fortress 2 and i had to drop the resolution all the way down to get it to play some what smooth on my current comp with a 2.8 P4.
Centurion 5 Case~GA-P35-DS3L Rev2.0~E6550~EVGA 8800GS~3GB GSkill~Cooler Master 650 PRO~Seagate 320GB SATA II~ 2 ASUS 20X Burners~Sound Blaster Audigy SE~ZeroTherm CF900~Acer 22" P221W

#5 bgardner

bgardner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2008 - 12:49 PM

is is possible to lower the resolution in order to play COD4???

#6 Lucky23

Lucky23

• Members
  • 304 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2008 - 12:55 PM

Yea but everything is going to be BIG an its just not as clear. Im running 640X480 on TF2 and i works but its not great. You should be able to go into the game and change the resolution. If you put it on the lowest setting it might play

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2008 - 10:14 AM

I don't think that upgrading to Vista alone will let you play COD4 (Good game, but way too short for me!). I'd suggest using the Vista Upgrade Advisor to see if your system will even run it: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/...adeadvisor.mspx I would expect that it's your video card that's limiting your playing of COD4 and that will also be a factor in an upgrade to Vista.

Vista will run with 512 mB of RAM - even back in the beta days you could get Vista Ultimate to run on 512mB (dunno about now) - but Vista Home Basic systems are currently shipping with 512 mB of RAM and they work OK for most users (NOT gamers). And, as you use it, it'll start bogging down with 512 mB of RAM - just like XP systems did with 128 mB of RAM.

There's plenty of good systems out there with specs similar to yours - it's just that you can't expect it to run the "latest and greatest" with stuff that's that old. You can either upgrade the components to make the system more current - or you can get a new system and use the older one for non-gaming stuff.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users