Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Advice Before I Purchase

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mikeroids

mikeroids

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 03 January 2008 - 06:24 PM

Well this is my first post..obviously. Well im in the market for an inexpensive external hard drive. Im looking for to stop some excess media and some files. Nothing to large. If a good deal comes across ill get 100gb+ but do not need that. Im open to any suggestions and advice on a certain product, company, size...what ever..

Thanks in advance!

Michael

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 i have no name

i have no name

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2008 - 07:20 PM

Well western digital makes good externals the My Books are very well made i have been using one for quite a while and they work perfectly but most My books come in large sizes like 250gb and up. You could easily find those hard drives on almost any online store so if you want a good deal you will have to search around, you can get a 250gb My book for roughly less then $150.00.
My system specs
Small chip that goes fast some spinning things a case, a mouse, and a keyboard and a wonderful rectanlge box of colors.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,554 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 04 January 2008 - 10:35 AM

IMO...the best solution would be to just buy a USB 2.0 enclosure for a hard drive and just put an EIDE drive in it. Probably cheaper than buying an "external" drive marketed by anyone and just as effective.

Best buy, IMO: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16822148168

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/ca...136|&Sort=4

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....mp;N=2010150414

The two vendors above are not the only, but they happen to be two of the more popular and most reasonable, IMO.

I try never to encourage anyone to spend more money than needed.

Louis

#4 mikeroids

mikeroids
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2008 - 11:02 AM

ok ill check those links out.

the EIDE drives can be just as portable as an actual external hardware?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,554 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2008 - 12:09 PM

Actually...all external harddrives are nothing but what I described, an enclosure with a regular 3.5-inch hard drive inside the case.

I was wrong, however, in stating that it would be cheaper to do it yourself, the price on the Seagate drive will be hard to beat and vendors seem to not care that users can buy a large hard drive for what vendors want for smaller drives. It used to be cheaper but it is not any more :thumbsup:.

I can buy a 500GB drive for about $115, why should I pay about 1/2 that for a drive with 1/4 that capacity?

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 04 January 2008 - 03:05 PM.

#6 mikeroids

mikeroids
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2008 - 02:40 PM

I found this one...what do you think of a refurbished one? One do you think of this one in general? Is it a bad manufacture? <----- I cant spell today...hahaha
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16822204049

My price range is around there unfortunetly.....so im trying to work with that....

what do you think of the one you gave to be (listed below) with the one I found?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16822204049

Or if you can find another in that price range...?

I really appreciate the help!

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,554 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2008 - 03:10 PM

Well, recertified hard drives have the same warranty as many new ones...so I have no problem with that.

Size selected is always up to the user, but I generally think it better to have more than less, especially if one does any video capture/editing.

The one thing that extra drive space also provides which many never consider...room to backup the system routinely and forestall those tales of woe when things go wrong.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users