Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Newzealand Government

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 oldbod

oldbod

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 PM

Posted 03 January 2008 - 05:54 PM

[topic="older drivers"]Nz government[/topic]

I have held a driving licence since 1943,and had a heavy truck licence,car licence and motor cycle licence
until my 80th birthday when the Newzealand Parliament in their wisdom decided to change the rules for older drivers(for the 3rd time) and they still hav'nt got it right!! this time they decided the over 80's had to do a test to check their abilities on the road (They then proceeded to use the same crite'rion that applied to first licence procu'rers) On presenting myself for the test they then informed me that because i am driving an Automatic car that i had to sign away all other classes before being allowed to take the test(iF I had failed to sign then i wouldn't be licenced,and open for prosecution) Does this sound like legal blackmail?
Having passed the road test i was given an Automatic only licence,and complained to our Minister Of Transport,and received a reply that the Government is considering another law change that will remove this
condition from older drivers except where it imposed for medical conditions. This change should come into force in May 2006. and that i would not need a new licence as Police would be told to ignore the Automatic only condition should i drive a manually gear controlled car!!!
Well they changed the rules and on reaching 82 y/o i have to present a medical cetificate and pay for another licence (No test required) (This means that the day that the law was changed it affected all from the age of 80 y/o and they would be allowed to retain any licences held without a road test) But guess what? When i present my Medical certificate and licence fee, Iwould like to bet that I will be presented with a Automatic only licence. I would like to know how many older drivers are in this position, in Newzealand?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ryan_w_quick

ryan_w_quick

• Members
  • 488 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 PM

Posted 30 April 2008 - 06:16 PM

probably not many
"To do less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." Steve Prefontaine

"The things you own end up owning you." Tyler Durden

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same god who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." Galileo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users