Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spyware takes aim at Mozilla browsers?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 SirJon

SirJon

Malware Prevention

• Malware Response Team
  • 230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 01 March 2005 - 12:34 PM

http://techrepublic.com.com/5100-10595_11-...tml?tag=nl.e107

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 01 March 2005 - 01:22 PM

No No!! Just say it ain't so.. don't wanna click that link but I have to.. *groan*

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#3 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 01 March 2005 - 01:45 PM

Well as always read the fine print and be carefull what you download. I hope we can make sure this never happenes. Either way im going to stick with firefox I mean its so much better than IE anyday!

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 01 March 2005 - 02:15 PM

The issue seems to be that people have to actually download something, so no matter what browser one uses, the culprit is (surprise, surprise) the user.
If you take a look at the Mozilla security center, or have read any release information, you will find the folks there are constantly fixing security problems with each release.
In the past, where there was a MAJOR security problem documented, they issued a patch within two days. And any browser that does not rely on ActiveX controls and is not part-and-parcel with the operating system is bound to be more secure than IE.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 hologram5

hologram5

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2005 - 04:21 PM

I use the firefox browser only cus I hate IE, darn windoze!! But anyway, I have gotten two pop-ups using it and did not click on anything. Maybe a fluke? Not sure but very concerned. :thumbsup:
To Boldly Go... Anywhere

#6 paperghost

paperghost

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2005 - 02:01 AM

I use the firefox browser only cus I hate IE, darn windoze!! But anyway, I have gotten two pop-ups using it and did not click on anything. Maybe a fluke? Not sure but very concerned. :thumbsup:

There are plenty of coding methods to get around almost all pop-up block methods used by both IE and Firefox now unfortunately. Expect them to become more and more in use over the course of the next year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users