Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Photo In Bc Control Panel

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Jove

Jove

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 03 January 2008 - 02:41 PM

I was trying to U/L a personal photo in my BC Control file, (profile).

The photo is 1.12 MB, and it just kept loading for like 5 mins. or more, am I having a problem ?

When you don't have to worry about your computer anymore, you can start
living again !

vrwqzc.gif
Success is a result, not a goal. . . . Flaubert

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 03 January 2008 - 02:46 PM

Just for general info, 1.12 MB is a huge file and an unacceptable size for most boards, no matter how you want to use it, and even if they have image crunchers (referred to at BC as the Image Scale).

Specifically, are you talking about the Personal Photo, Jove? If so, here's what the Control Panel says about size:

This section will allow you to specify a photo to be used in your profile which is viewable by other board members.
All photos must be no larger than 100 kB.
Photos must be no bigger than 150 pixels by 150 pixels.

#3 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2008 - 02:56 PM

OK, thanks Dialer,

I really suspected something like that, and should have converted the size to kb, and I would have known, . .however I looked a one or two other personal photos and they seemed complex enough that they seemed to be as large in size as mine, and I don't have any problem inserting this in e-mails, so I went right ahead.

Now, for the 64 dollar question, is there a way to like compress this or something ?

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#4 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2008 - 03:16 PM

Ahhh, here's a little tip for viewing whether or not the "complexity" of an image translates to a large or small file size. Right click on the image, click on properties, and you'll usually see both Size and Dimensions listed. (Some images that haven't loaded properly in your browser might not give you the file size.)

BTW, there's a definite difference between sending a large file like yours through e-mail and uploading it to a board's server.

Alrighty then, what graphics editing software do you have on your computer? Such as Paint, IrfanView, Photoshop, or the like? I'd recommend IrfanView, which is free, for work like this, because Paint is really a very limited application.

Once we know which editor you have, we can be of more help. In general, you first need to resize the image, and sometimes that includes compression and sometimes it doesn't, depending on the application.

===============

[KY, I see you hanging around here. :thumbsup: Would you mind moving this thread to the Graphics forum? Thanks.)

#5 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2008 - 03:31 PM

I thought we were in the right forum ??

I have both paint and Irfan View, but I have never tried I.V. for this purpose ?

I used paint to save the photo as a Jpeg to my files.

I did click properties to find out it was a 1.12 MB.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#6 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2008 - 04:52 PM

The other forum is more for sharing links to interesting images, etc., that are on the internet. This forum is for discussing the how-tos of graphics and photo editing.

I don't currently have IV installed and it's been several years since I've used it, but resizing and compressing images is essentially the same process among the major graphics editors.

It's probably not necessary for you to resize the photo to the 150 x 150 limitations of the board. They have an excellent image cruncher that doesn't leave a lot of artifacts. But you should bring the size of the image down to something a bit more reasonable and that you can actually upload here. What are its current dimensions (width and height)? Do you know how to resize images in IV? If not, look for something on the menu that says "Image" or "Edit" and has the option to resize. If it's rectangular rather than square, you'll want to keep the proportions the same, and there's probably a box for you to check for that. Make sure that 300 is the larger of the two dimensions for a rectangular image. Go through the process of resizing the image, and let me know what dimensions and file size you end up with. You might need to do a little additional resizing or compression.

#7 Noot

Noot

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2008 - 06:35 PM

I thought we were in the right forum ??

I have both paint and Irfan View, but I have never tried I.V. for this purpose ?

I used paint to save the photo as a Jpeg to my files.

I did click properties to find out it was a 1.12 MB.

Paint isn't very good as far as compressing files. It'll still give you a big file size and the quality won't be very good. Where as Dialer mentioned, Irfan View is different; it'll compress your files and won't be as harsh on the image quality. You should be able to compress your files without losing too much quality.

You'll probably find that your images will look a lot better not done in Paint. :thumbsup:
Posted Image

"I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving
that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority."
E. B. White (1899 - 1985)

#8 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2008 - 08:00 PM

OK, I'll give it a try and see what happens, I have a lot of other things to do, so I'll be a while, let you know.

Thanks !

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#9 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2008 - 08:30 PM

No problem, Jove. Thanks for letting me know.

In the meantime, I've installed IrfanView and now have a pretty good handle on the necessary techniques.

Two things to consider:

1. Use the original photograph, not the jpg copy you made of it in Paint. Every time an image is saved, worked on, and resaved as a JPG, it loses quality.

2. If your image contains extraneous material, you can first crop it to include only what you want. That way, when you resize it, more detail will be retained.

#10 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 03 January 2008 - 08:48 PM

Here's a couple of our Irfanview tutorials, that should do what you want:
Resizing An Image Using Irfanview
Reducing An Image's File Size By Reducing It's Image Quality Using Irfanview
Basic Cropping Using Irfanview
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#11 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2008 - 09:19 PM

Golllll-eeeee. Is there anything that isn't available here?

I'll have a cheeseburger, please, with mustard, lettuce, tomato, and extra-crisp bacon, but NO pickles or onions. :flowers:

Thanks for the links, TG. :thumbsup:

#12 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,934 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2008 - 09:33 PM

Your order sir...

Forgive my intrusion
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#13 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2008 - 10:11 PM

:flowers:

Thanks boopme, and especially for the sesame-seed bun. I forgot to mention that. :thumbsup:

Uhhhhh, but make that "m'am," please, not "sir."

You may now return to your tropical vacation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users