Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Computer Can't Hold A Connection

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 tau

tau

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 03 January 2008 - 01:45 PM

My computer has trouble holding onto the internet connection... for example, streaming video like YouTube kills it, streaming radio like Pandora internet radio kills it, loading any very large image may kill it... Pretty much anything that puts stress on it to load.

Once the connection has died, all I need to do to fix it temporarily is restart the computer. The problem is with the computer itself... the modem connected to any other computer will work fine.

I have tried 2 optimizer programs, neither worked. Perhaps I used them wrong?

Could it be a hardware problem? Maybe something I can get replaced?

I am at the end of my rope. I would appreciate any help or advice you could offer!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SuperTruper

SuperTruper

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 06 January 2008 - 05:39 AM

Hi!

Sorry to hear about your problem. I know getting kicked off the net can definitely be frustrating. It always helps to list your operating system when posting, what browser you're using, and your ISP so we can get a better idea of what we're working with! - Just for future reference. Are you connected through a cable modem directly? USB? Ethernet? Wi-Fi -if so what router? Even though other computer may run fine with the same connection, it is still possible it isn't a problem soley with the computer.

Judging from the information you've given, I can't give you a detailed response as to what is causing the issue, but we can try a few different things to see if we can clear up the problem!

First, we can try resetting all your computers network settings. I first recommend resetting your router, or cable modem (unplugging, plugging back in works fine). After you've done this, get connected on the computer that's having the problem. Close out of all running applications - it's fine if you leave this window up so you can see what to do though.

1. Since I don't know what operating system you are on, the route to where we need to get could be different. XP - We need to go to Start - Run - Type in CMD. If it's Vista - Start - type in CMD in the search box.

2. This will bring up the command prompt. What I say to type in, type in exactly. Note: Errors such as "Cannot perform maintnence on local area connection while unplugged ...", or something else is normal. As long as it doesn't come back as "command unrecognized" or something similar, you did it right.

3. Type in these thigns, followed by hitting the enter key. Wait for a response.

ipconfig/flushdns (then hit the enter key and move to the next one when it's ready)

ipconfig/registerdns

ipconfig/release

ipconfig/renew

netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

netsh int ip delete arpcache

netsh winsock reset all

The last command should prompt you to restart your computer. Restart your computer. Now, everything should be refreshed. If this doesn't fix your internet problem, you can try a lot of different things. If you're using an ethernet cable or usb cable, it's possible it could be a bad cable. I've had people with bad cables and there connection drops - getting a new short one, or one with not a whole lot of extra cable for room you're not using tends to work great.

You can try a system restore, although I don't think it would help much.

If this is through wi-fi, make sure the signal strength is REALLY good. It could be a too low signal that cuts in and out. You may want to try looking for an external antenna, or a booster for the router that bumps the signal up. Remember, if those don't work, you should be able to return the products for a refund - ask first about it though.

If this is an issue that happened suddenly, it may be on the settings side of things. Try download firefox from download.com, and using that browser instead. If you're already using that, try internet explorer. Also in internet explorer, go to tools - internet options - advanced tab - reset. This will reset all the settings to default, but does delete everything I think - it will warn you if it will do that though.

If all else fails, try posting here again to see if anyone else knows something I may not know. Be really descriptive with your ISP, form of connection, how long the problem has been going on, and other detailed info on the issue. That way, we can have a better understanding of what could be the cause/solution. Good luck, and hope those ideas fix it!

Ryan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users