Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Admin Access Denied Acl Not Cooperative

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 chuzie

chuzie

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 AM

Posted 03 January 2008 - 01:26 PM

ADMIN access denied ACL not cooperative

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Running XP Media Center W/ SP2 ver:2002

Unable to copy a specific file to another computer or to another folder within the same computer.

File attrbutes do not indicate read-only or hidden.

Encryption details show one of my old usernames for transparant access.
When I try to add the ADMINISTRATOR for transparant access the FIND USER button is greyed out.
System has been locking up on me and have determined malware is not a player. Decided to go ahead and reformat. Currently backing up files to keep prior to format but a few are giving me a problem.

So I can copy a few files.

Logged in as ADMINISTRATOR and get ACCESS IS DENIED. I can DELETE but not COPY. I can move it to another folder on my computer but still cannot copy or move to another computer afterwards.

Tried cacls xxxxx /F and did nothing

Tried modifying ACL.

ADMINISTRATOR has:
---full control permissions
---effective permissions are all checked
---changed owner to ADMINISTRATOR

Still no go.

What are my options here?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2008 - 02:07 PM

Are these encrypted files? If so, I don't think they can be treated like other files.

ACL = Access Control List.

http://searchsoftwarequality.techtarget.co...i213757,00.html

If the files are not encrypted, taking ownership should give you the ability to maneuver them, How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421

Louis

#3 chuzie

chuzie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2008 - 02:19 PM

Thanks for the ACL correction. Ignorance is bliss until you look like a moron to the guys who actually know what they are talking about. :thumbsup:

Anyway, I ran the mocrosoft steps to confirm ADMINISTRATOR ownership of the folder an file and after doing so I am still unable to copy. Access is still denied.

Any thoughts?

Also, FWIW- The ADMINISTRATOR does not have the SPECIAL PERMISSIONS box checked under the security tab nor am I able to check it.

Edited by chuzie, 03 January 2008 - 02:21 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2008 - 03:39 PM

I'm out of concepts :thumbsup:.

What's the name of the file in question, please? Any indication that it is encrypted?

Louis

#5 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 PM

Posted 03 January 2008 - 03:56 PM

When you log on to the PC do you log on as username "admin" or your own name e.g. "Bob"? If you log on as e.g. Bob give bob the ownership of the folder with full permissions and remove or downgrade the Admin rights.
MCP
MSDST

#6 chuzie

chuzie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2008 - 04:06 PM

I was attempting to copy while logged in as ADMINISTRATOR and also changed the ownership to ADMINISTRATOR. I just changed ownership to profile MIKEY and downgraded the ADMINISTRATOR. I then logged in as MIKEY and still ACCESS IS DENIED

Edited by chuzie, 03 January 2008 - 04:11 PM.

#7 chuzie

chuzie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2008 - 05:56 PM

I'm out of concepts :thumbsup:.

What's the name of the file in question, please? Any indication that it is encrypted?

Louis

Only encryption indication that I have is when I go to PROPERTIES and ADVANCED the ENCRYPT CONTENTS TO SECURE DATA box is checked. The DETAILS button reveals that my username, MIKEY, is a transparant access user for the file but the computer name it lists the user on has since changed from when it was supposedly encrypted (June 2006). I changed the computer name back to what was listed by the user and still no dice. I think it may be because the certificate thumbprint has changed but not sure?

I went to ADD and the FIND USER button is greyed out.

The file was called VR_MOVIE.VRO but I changed it to M.MPG to make typing DOS commands easier. I can change the file name but not copy. Weird huh?

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2008 - 06:37 PM

http://www.iopus.com/guides/efs.htm

Well, it appears to me that, if it is encrypted...the above applies.

Louis

#9 chuzie

chuzie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2008 - 06:55 PM

Well, according to that info I am screwed.

The certificate is not in the certificates list in internet explorer. I wonder if there is a way to search the computer to see if it is hiding somewhere? I think, at one point, I reinstalled IE. Would this have deleted my certificate or was it just not included in the list on the reload and is residing somewhere else on the computer?

#10 chuzie

chuzie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2008 - 07:09 PM

Ok. I did a quick search for all files with *.cer and *.p7b and a lot of certificates came up. I am not sure if those two extensions are all inclusive or are even typical of the certificate I am looking for. Anyway, I have the CERTIFICATE THUMBPRINT for the certificate I need to find now I need a way to search for the certificate with that THUMBPRINT.

The certificate search function does not have a field to narrow or search via thumbprint. Is there another avenue to try and find it?

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2008 - 07:23 PM

I don't use encryption, I only know that it exists.

The link was provided so that you can read up on it and get other useful references.

Louis

#12 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 PM

Posted 03 January 2008 - 10:06 PM

If you know what user name and password you used to create the encryption, you could add the as a user to your system, delaete the file and remove the old user.
MCP
MSDST

#13 chuzie

chuzie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2008 - 10:10 PM

SUCCESS!!!

I did some additional digging and came across this website

http://www.beginningtoseethelight.org/efsrecovery/

After reading the info I realized that I know a lot less about encryption and computer than I had thought. So I took the chicken's way out and got the advanced efs data recovery from elcomsoft.

This program was great. I searched my computer and found all the certificates and all the encrypted files. All I had to do was type in the passwords for the keys it found and I was done. I made and non-encrypted copy of the selected files and I was done. Granted, had I not known what the passwords were I would be screwed.

Thanks for the help guys. I hope someone else can benefit from this thread.

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2008 - 10:51 AM

Glad you solved it, happy computing :thumbsup:!

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users