Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I Replace Hd; 40g With 200g ?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Jove

Jove

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 03 January 2008 - 12:57 PM

Hello,

I would like to install a new HD in Compaq Presario Desk Top, 4300US, . .
The old HD was a Maxtor 40, GB, . . . will it be OK to replace with Maxtor 200 GB ?

Edited by Jove, 03 January 2008 - 12:58 PM.

When you don't have to worry about your computer anymore, you can start
living again !

vrwqzc.gif
Success is a result, not a goal. . . . Flaubert

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2008 - 01:12 PM

Sure. Why not?

If it worked with a small Maxtor, why not a big Maxtor?

Allthough you will need to reinstall all your files and possibly the OS
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#3 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2008 - 03:09 PM

Many of the Hard Drive manufacturers include some type of software that would enable you to transfer everything, including the OS, to the new disk. I believe Maxtor gives you a minimal copy of True image.

But, usually this is available only in Retail Box hard drives, no OEM.

Good luck.

DR

#4 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2008 - 03:35 PM

The one that RS has in stock is a Western Digital.

I am a little concerned about using an MS Windows Xp Service Pack 2 to install the OS directly to the HD, etc. as I have had a problem with the old HD.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#5 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 AM

Posted 03 January 2008 - 04:31 PM

What OS are you going to install?

Also you may have a 130 gig BIOS limit
In the beginning there was the command line.

#6 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2008 - 04:55 PM

What sort of problem were you having?

Many of your problems may go away once you move to a larger drive. If it doesn't work, you can then do a clean install but I would first try and ghost the drive from the old to the new. It isn't hard and will not require you to reinstall any drivers or apps that you already have installed.

DR

#7 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2008 - 05:15 PM

I am seriously concerned my friend about drivers. I'm called out to go pick up the HD, please wait and I will make this reply complete when I return.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#8 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2008 - 06:34 PM

Many of your problems may go away once you move to a larger drive. If it doesn't work, you can then do a clean install but I would first try and ghost the drive from the old to the new. It isn't hard and will not require you to reinstall any drivers or apps that you already have installed.
DR

Yeah,

The HD ;

Maxtor, Ultra Series 200 GB, Ultra Series, 7200Rpm, ATA/133, 8MB Cache.

So, the current advice is to D/L WXP SP 2 directly from the Install Disc, and then to do a Windows update.

But, correct me I am wrong, Did Garmaman say in a previous thread that a driver set up should be available ?

What are the chances all the drivers will be on the install disk ?

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#9 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2008 - 07:09 PM

Reference;

Notice for Drivers Larger than 137 GB
Some systems do not properly support the full capacity of an internal hard drive larger than 137 GB. To ensure proper installation, see, the following;

Installing the Drive with an Ultra ATA PCI Card

In this case if you are installing a hard drive with an Ultra ATA-compatible PCI adapter card, (such as the Maxtor Ultra ATA/133 PCI Card or Maxtor SATA/150 PCI Card), use the ATA card documentation to install the card before installing the hard drive. Some older systems require the use of an ATA card to fully recognize higher capacity hard drives.

Using a Hard Drive Larger than 137 GB

To properly access the full capacity of a drive larger than 137 GB you must install a 137 GB SOLUTION. Using a drive that has been formatted past the 137 GB barrier on a system without an installed 137 GB solution can result in data loss.

Edited by Jove, 04 January 2008 - 12:52 PM.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#10 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2008 - 07:20 PM

DR

Thats a good question can I say that the HD from that computer,(the one I will put this new HD into ), is being used as a storage device and no longer has an OS on it. I was unable to successfully install WXPSP2 on it, I guess some drivers were missing or corrupt. I was beginning to think that some how the SP1 OS for pre-install, which might have been faulty, then I had a CPU go down during, wasn't sure if it was the HD and still wasn't sure if it was a virus or trojan, but its a good little storage device at the present time, I just gave up installing an OS on it and didn't particularly like wiping the HD and did not think it was really that simple of a deal at the time.

I need to re-install the OS on another PC so I am setting this one up with a new HD.

Edited by Jove, 03 January 2008 - 07:21 PM.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#11 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2008 - 01:42 PM

Hello Everybody !

I have reposted this post from previous to keep the facts up in front of us.

I don't know why these installation instructions always ask if your installing the part that you have in your hand and then compare it with a part you don't. I guess they save money packaging products and stuff in the instructions which they can change to meet the production model schedules, I really wish they wouldn't do that or at least tell you updated instructions for the model number can be found on line.

Anyway, this is what I am trying to accomplish;

Reference;

Notice for Drivers Larger than 137 GB
Some systems do not properly support the full capacity of an internal hard drive larger than 137 GB. To ensure proper installation, see, the following;

Installing the Drive with an Ultra ATA PCI Card

In this case if you are installing a hard drive with an Ultra ATA-compatible PCI adapter card, (such as the Maxtor Ultra ATA/133 PCI Card or Maxtor SATA/150 PCI Card), use the ATA card documentation to install the card before installing the hard drive. Some older systems require the use of an ATA card to fully recognize higher capacity hard drives.

Using a Hard Drive Larger than 137 GB

To properly access the full capacity of a drive larger than 137 GB you must install a 137 GB SOLUTION. Using a drive that has been formatted past the 137 GB barrier on a system without an installed 137 GB solution can result in data loss.

Here is where I'm at;

What I have here is (1) one single HD that is replacing another that is no longer in place, (empty slot), when it comes to Setting the jumper, I dont see the correlation, since there is not going to be a connect to a second HD, I assume that this should be ignored there is nothing to connect to the jumper setting, (inlet) or pins.

Correct ?

Secondly, there is the question of the ATA PCI Card, . . The ATA cable connect directly to the MB, there is no ATA PCI card connection ?

This leaves me with the question about the 137 GB solution, I am assuming this will be resolved with the HD installation CD ?

Before I can actually attempt to proceed I need to check the RAM because there is a question;

There are two RAM sticks, of different styles and dimensions ;
one is wider and therefore sits higher than the other, the specs on these are;

I believe that the stock (original 128MB Stick is this one :

PC 133 128MB SDIMM
Spares NQ 170081-002

The second stick, (added later ), and is the one that sits taller is as f;

Kingston-KVR
KVR133Q/128R
740617069204 3.3V
AVMQ0890664 CE

If there are any RAM Experts out there that won't mind confirming these are compatible with the CP-4403US, I'd appreciate it.

P.S.
I am getting in touch with CP technical asst. and will post back.

Edited by Jove, 04 January 2008 - 02:43 PM.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#12 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2008 - 05:23 PM

I installed the H D, Formatted and ready to receive the OS, . . But, . . . guess what ?

NTLDR is Missing,

I am beginning to believe that I have a, . . . . .

Seriously corrupted version of Windows XP

and if so that may be the reason, ever since I received this WXP SP2 installation CD in the mail directly from MS,
I have had , . . . MAJOR Trouble ! , . . On (2) machines !

Any suggestions ? I mean I don't think it is anything else, I checked with a Restore disk, (SP1) and it came up perfectly.

Let me ask you this ;

Say that it is affirmative, >>> Bad Installation Disk, how dependable is the WXP SP2 Installation D/L from on line, are you using it ? . . . . or at this point should I just go on to SP3 ???

Edited by Jove, 05 January 2008 - 12:37 AM.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#13 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2008 - 12:42 AM

Correction ;
Load ASPI v 1.84
Type
1, to skip loading Aspi driver
2 to use known Aspi driver
3 to Auto detect for a host adapter

There were no SCSI Adapter Cards Detected

If I can get into the BIOS will I find some way to resolve this or is it not applicable to a, New HD Install,
No Master, No slave ?

Major HBA manufacturers are HP, ATTO Technology, Adaptec, and LSI. LSI, Adaptec, and ATTO Technology currently offer PCIe SCSI adapters which fit in new Apple Mac, on Intel PCs, and low-profile motherboards from companies like HP (which now lack SCSI support due to the inclusion of SAS and/or SATA connectivity).

I doubt that there is anything wrong with the computer, I am in the process of Installing SP1, and I have not had any problems.

Edited by Jove, 05 January 2008 - 01:15 AM.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#14 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2008 - 12:25 AM

I installed the H D, Formatted and ready to receive the OS, . . But, . . . guess what ?

NTLDR is Missing,

I am beginning to believe that I have a, . . . . .

Seriously corrupted version of Windows XP

and if so that may be the reason, ever since I received this WXP SP2 installation CD in the mail directly from MS,
I have had , . . . MAJOR Trouble ! , . . On (2) machines !

Any suggestions ? I mean I don't think it is anything else, I checked with a Restore disk, (SP1) and it came up perfectly.

Let me ask you this ;

Say that it is affirmative, >>> Bad Installation Disk, how dependable is the WXP SP2 Installation D/L from on line, are you using it ? . . . . or at this point should I just go on to SP3 ???

Well I showed up here like the geese down south and here's some more very interesting news for Yall, . . . . .

Second Attempt at installing WXPSP2 from this Disc, . . . This time instead of an NTLDR, it Yielded this little gadjet, there was another one a different kind but I did get a picture of this one as it went by, . . nope, I got both of'em, if you can explain this, you're amazing !

Posted Image

Posted Image

Are these files comin or goin, and if so from where to where ?

Don't even try to explain what a earl.ac_. is !!

So, has this WXP SP2 CD been messing with me or what ?

Edited by Jove, 06 January 2008 - 12:30 AM.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#15 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2008 - 08:12 AM

Both of those errors are showing that it believes the files should be on the C: drive.

But, if you are installing Service Pack 2 from a CD, you need to change that drive letter to be the same as the drive letter of your CD drive.

When you receive those errors again, hit the browse button and point it towards the CD drive. It might take a couple of tries in order to get the correct folder on the CD but once you do, it should see it and continue.

I hope this helps.

DR

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users