Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unkown People In My Network Folder

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Rebelwoutacauze

Rebelwoutacauze

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 03 January 2008 - 11:04 AM

I hope this is the right place if not pleae let me know. I have unknown people/pcs in my network folder. I find this weird because I have NO router or anything like that hooked up. I have a boardband cable modem which is through my cable company. I am running Vista (not by choice came with my computer. ) My mom, uncle and a few others i spoke too said they all have the same problem. It is slowing my computer way down. I know they are using my internet because when i check the sites through the command prompt their are sites on there I've never heard of. When we check some out one even took us to a hacker site! I have called the tech support through the cable company many times with no help. I have ran Windows Defense, Nortons, AVG & Spybot with NO help. Nothing turns up. I have been searching for two weeks almost no stop and I can't find any solution. Someone please help!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

• Malware Response Team
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2008 - 12:34 AM

I'm not sure what you mean by "network folder" but lets try a couple of things. First, lets make sure that Internet Connection Sharing is turned off. Go into the control panel and find Network and Internet, then Network and Sharing Center, and then click Manage network connections. Locate your network connection, either Local Area Connection or Wireless Connection. Right click on the icon and go to properties. Under the Sharing tab, make sure that "Allow other network users to connect through this computerís Internet connection" is unchecked.

Next, lets make sure that your firewall is turned on.

Go to the start menu and in the search box type "firewall". It should find two results, just click on the one that says "Windows Firewall". In the next window, click the link in the upper left side of the screen that says "Turn Windows Firewall on or off". In the next screen, click "Change Settings". When the new window appears, make sure that the "On" button is checked. If not, check it and click OK.

Let me know the results of this.

#3 Rebelwoutacauze

Rebelwoutacauze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2008 - 10:31 AM

When I click on Start there are things I can click on ie. Music, Favorites and such the usual. One says Network. I have tried to located the "Sharing" tap where u said. I have no tabs just Networking. I have however unchecked the File and shareing link and the client for microsoft. As for the firewalls I have windows on and nortons on. thanks!

#4 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 04 January 2008 - 11:54 AM

As for the firewalls I have windows on and nortons on.

According to all the experts here, you do not want to have two firewalls running at the same time because they can cause conflicts that include network issues. The Windows firewall is quite limited in its protection, so I'd suggest you turn that one off.

That's it for my knowledge, but it could be the source of your problem. Hope this helps!

#5 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2008 - 12:31 PM

You also have two AV programs installed. Norton and AVG. They will conflict with each other.

I would uninstall Norton. Its notorious for slowing a system down dramatically and messing with a lot of stuff!
Make sure you run the Norton Removal tool. just uninstalling it through add/remove programs is not adequate!
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgen...005033108162039

See of everyone else that you spoke to has Norton installed. If they do then you have a commonality between all of them
In the beginning there was the command line.

#6 Rebelwoutacauze

Rebelwoutacauze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2008 - 01:55 PM

I uninstalled Avg yesterday as for Nortons I paid a lot of money for it so I don't think im gonna unstall it. I have turned off the windows firewall. it was off before, I turned it on shortly after i found the other pcs. I was unaware they would conflict either other. Thanks for all your help. I was told at another forum that it might be somekind of Malware. So Im looking into that. Thanks again

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users