Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Space

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cattch08

cattch08

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 03 January 2008 - 09:10 AM

Hi i am running out of space but there is loads of space elswhere can i utilise the space i am not using if so how thanks for your time see below.

C: DRIVE TOTAL 116GB FREE SPACE REMAINING 3.31GB

F: DRIVE CALLED RECOVERY TOTAL 8.5GB FREE SPACE 3.87

E: DRIVE CALLED BACKUP TOTAL 107GB FREE SPACE 107GB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 03 January 2008 - 10:09 AM

If all of those drives reside on one physical disk, you can get software that will repartition it, like Partition Magic.

Be forewarned though that if you do that and then someday later, do a recovery, it will go back to the original size.

You can also us a program like Norton Ghost or Acronis True Image to make an image that you could move to an external hard drive and then back onto the original one, after resizing.

I have used Partition Magic with great success. That would be my first inclination. But don't repartition the Recovery drive. That needs to stay the same.

I hope this helps.

DR

PS: if you are using Vista, I believe it has a repartitioning function. Not sure though.

Edited by rigacci, 03 January 2008 - 10:10 AM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,568 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 03 January 2008 - 10:43 AM

You can just move some of the many data files from the C: partition...to the E: partition. That will give XP room to breathe and will also make use of the space you have.

IMO, a C: partition should only contain the minimal amount of files (Windows, programs installed, and other necessary system files).

There is no reason for data, music, or video files to be on C:, it's owner's preference.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users