Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bad Husband Broke Puter, Won't Start.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Mitch_E

Mitch_E

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 PM

Posted 03 January 2008 - 07:15 AM

Hello everyone, I am Mitch, Judi_e's husband that many of you have heard about. She finally got tired of fixing my computer and has decreed that I must do these things on my own. So here I am. I tried to add a third hard drive to my computer and had to remove the CPU in order to do so. It wouldn't boot up. It seems that either I or Judi bent one of the power pins on the cpu (it was a corner pin and bent away from all other pins). Judi tried to bend it back but it still won't boot. I don't even get the system check beeps that you normally get when first hitting the power button. You get power, the amber light powers up and the fan runs but otherwise, nada, nothing. I have some specs here for my computer with some minor upgrades. A cd writer/dvd player drive, more ram and a second 120 gig hard drive have been added without any trouble. I was told to ask if there is a way to test the processor without buying a new one, or a way to test the motherboard. Please hurry as Judi is afraid that I am one click away from killing her computer next.

Thanks,
ME

PowerSpec® 5500

Processor

AMD Sempron™ Processor 3100+

OS

genuine Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition

System Board

ECS RS482-M754

System Memory

256MB DDR333 SDRAM 184-pin DIMM

Hard Drive

80GB 7200RPM Ultra ATA

CD-RW Drive

52x32x52x CD-RW Drive

Video

Integrated ATI Radeon Xpress 200

Sound

Integrated 6 Channel AC'97 Audio CODEC ALC655

Modem

Baudtek 56K V.92 PCI Internal Modem

LAN

Realtek Integrated 10/100 Ethernet RTL8100C Controller

Keyboard

Standard Keyboard

Mouse

Scroll Mouse

Warranty

1 Year Limited Carry In Warranty

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 03 January 2008 - 11:00 AM

Welcome to BC
You can take the CPU to a local shop (not a big box store) and they could test it for you. That would be the the best way. When you get down to the mobo and CPU, the only real way to test them is substitution. Are you sure the orientation of the chip is correct to the socket? Did you clean off the heatsink and CPU and apply new thermal compound? A tip on installing drives, in many cases you can remove the front bezel and slide them in through the front

"It seems that either I or Judi bent one of the power pins on the cpu "
No fair trying to shift the blame, take your medicine like a man :thumbsup:
Mark

Edited by garmanma, 03 January 2008 - 11:00 AM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 lowtek_otc

lowtek_otc

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2008 - 03:14 AM

You had to remove the CPU to add a HDD? Big heat sync or fan on it or something?

#4 Mitch_E

Mitch_E
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2008 - 05:27 AM

Yep, I was putting the HD in one of the floppy slots.

Ended up buying a new CPU, motherboard, RAM and power supply.

#5 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 04 January 2008 - 09:19 AM

I'm glad all ended well :thumbsup:

Ended up buying a new CPU, motherboard, RAM and power supply.

You forgot the part about also taking Judi to dinner, a movie, by the jewelry counter at the mall, and washing dishes for a month. Welcome to the "Men's club." :flowers:

And... welcome to BleepingComputer - I hope yall stick around.

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#6 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 06 January 2008 - 09:25 AM

washing dishes for a MONTH,,,,, damn, she conned me again, my better half sed 6
Figgis,,,, LUFC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users