Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Could I Get A Bit Of Help?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 Mahou

Mahou

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 03 January 2008 - 06:35 AM

I think I may be infected with something; my computer's been rather slow, even after defragmenting, disk cleanup, etc., and often explorer.exe will restart, IE will eventually sort-of "limit" my tabs (eventually when I add another it will switch to it (saying "Connecting..." still) with NONE of my toolbars and be unusable), after this "limiting" I cannot run any new programs, nor can I use any anti-virus programs opened. Finally, Firefox will often not work, loading black or blank websites, lately it cannot even reach the homepage or use any of it's buttons. Can someone please help me know if I'm infected? I'm using Vista by the way. Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ltangelic

Ltangelic

Angel Annihilator of Malware

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 03 January 2008 - 08:21 AM

Try cleaning up your system first, it can speed up your computer, at the same time, clean your old registry.

* Download and install Ccleaner.

* Run CCleaner.

Caution:Do not use Registry button if you are not sure what it is or how to use it. It is a built in Registry cleaner. If you use it wrongly, it can cause irreparable damage to your system.

1. Starting with v1.27.260, CCleaner installs the Yahoo Toolbar as an option which IS checkmarked by default during the installation.
---> IF you do NOT want it, REMOVE the checkmark when provided with the option OR download the toolbarfree Basic version instead of the Standard Build.

2. Before first use, select Options > Advanced and UNCHECK "Only delete files in Windows Temp folder older than 48 hours"

3. Then select the items you wish to clean up.

In the Windows Tab:
Clean all entries in the "Internet Explorer" section except Autocomplete Forum History.
Clean all the entries in the "Windows Explorer" section.
Clean all entries in the "System" section except for Start Menu Shortcuts and Desktop Shortcuts.
Clean any others that you choose.

In the Applications Tab:
Clean all including cookies in the Firefox/Mozilla section if you use it.
Clean all in the Opera section if you use it.
Clean Sun Java in the Internet Section.
Clean any others that you choose.

4. Click the "Run Cleaner" button.
5. A pop up box will appear advising this process will permanently delete files from your system.
6. Click "OK" and it will scan and clean your system.
7. When it's done, close the program. (If it asks you to reboot, click No)

Please download and install Trend Micro HijackThis.

* Upon installation complete, double-click on the HijackThis shortcut on Desktop.
* It will open a window, click on Main Menu first.
* At the bottom, check "Show this window when I start HijackThis".
* Click on "Do a system scan and save a logfile".
* Upon scan complete, a notepad will pop up with the HijackThis log file. Save it to Desktop.
* Copy and post you log file in HijackThis Logs and Malware Removal forums and HJT members will help you clean up the rest of your system.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

Edited by Ltangelic, 03 January 2008 - 08:22 AM.

Bleepingcomputer Malware Response Team

Posted Image

Posted Image

Please do NOT PM anyone with HJT logs, read this and post your logs here.

#3 Mahou

Mahou
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 03 January 2008 - 08:37 AM

Thanks so much, I've cleaned up the computer and I am now gonna go over to the "HijackThis Logs..." forum.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 03 January 2008 - 09:06 AM

Your hijackthis log is posted here.

After posting a log you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a HJT Team member, nor should you continue to ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show it the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the member assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the HJT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

If after 5 days you still have received no response, then post a link to your HJT log in the thread titled "Haven't Had A Reply In Five Days?".

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic until you are cleared by the HJT Team. If you still need assistance after your log has been reviewed and you have been cleared, please PM me or another moderator and we will re-open this topic.

Thanks for your cooperation and good luck with your log.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users