Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Restarts Then Stop Screen

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Paulrenno

Paulrenno

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 03 January 2008 - 05:47 AM

I have got an ongoing problem. Occasionally, when I shutdown, the computer restarts. I disabled the 'automatically restart' and the next time something happened, was when i was about to use itunes cd burner - all of a sudden I got a blue screen which said:
** STOP 0X0000008e
(0XC0000005, 0X806FF94F, 0XA5822808, 0X00000000

I have since gone into the event viewer and noticed on the days i had problems, i had error id 7000 and i believe i have sorted that - it was something to do with SAGEM.

What is also interesting, is that when i rebooted after the blue screen scenario, i received a microsoft error report telling me a problem occurred relating to my antivirus (either it needed updating or there were multple antivirus programmes on there) - I use AVAST free and it automatically updates - and that is the only antivirus programme i have running. I do have windows defender / spybot / adaware / spywareguard

Would the STOP error be related to the microsoft error (antivirus related?) And do you think the error i found in event manager is related also?

I did post my problem before xmas and have had some replies, but it has gone dead now.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 03 January 2008 - 06:18 AM

Check your devices in Device Manager (Start > Run > type "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter). Look for any "! " or "X" symbols.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Paulrenno

Paulrenno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2008 - 06:30 AM

Ok. I'm just at work at the moment though. I will do that tonight and post my findings in the morning. Thanks for replying so promptly.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 PM

Posted 03 January 2008 - 07:41 AM

As the Microsoft report relates to your Antivirus I'd suspect that:
1) Your antivirus installation is corrupted, or
2) Your system is infected with malware (which causes the Avast to crash)

The simplest test would be to download a new copy of Avast, then uninstall your current copy of Avast and install the freshly downloaded version. If this goes without a hitch, update Avast and perform a complete scan of your system just to be sure.

If Avast has issues reinstalling, then you may be infected. If so, I'd suggest a visit to this forum: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Paulrenno

Paulrenno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2008 - 09:00 AM

Ok - i went home lunchtime, and checked the Devise Manager and opened up everything in there and all is clear - no ! or ? at all

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 03 January 2008 - 11:01 AM

Try reinstalling your anti-virus as usasma suggested.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 Paulrenno

Paulrenno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2008 - 11:09 AM

Will do. I will report back tomorrow morning.

#8 Paulrenno

Paulrenno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2008 - 02:34 PM

Ok, I have uninstalled Avast with the correct Avast uninstaller, and re-installed the latest version, then did a complete scan.
All worked well .... so far.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users