Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Media Player 11 And Ps3

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 wce06

wce06

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 AM

Posted 03 January 2008 - 03:49 AM

Just a quick question about media sharing, if i share my pc files with my PS3 using a wirless router and i have ADSL, do i share with the rest of the world aswell????

If so how do i stop it and make sure it is just in my home network?

Or

How do i check to see if i am sharing with the whole world?

The reason this has come up is because my usage has jumped up dramatically!

Many thanks in advanced

Worried user.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JSteele

JSteele

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 AM

Posted 03 January 2008 - 11:19 AM

wce06,

If you share your files using a router with your ps3 you will want to secure your connection (such as using WEP) I do not have a ps3 myself but I would imagine that your ps3 would still be able to connect to your router if it is secured. If you don't have your connection secured then yes, the whole world can have access to your files.

#3 wce06

wce06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2008 - 03:47 PM

Yes my router is secure, and my PS3 can still access my PC.

I was still wondering if i allow file sharing on my PC does this give the internet access to my media aswell as just my local wirless network and if so how can i stop sharing with the internet and still share with my PS3?

It is hard to explain what im trying to ask, maybe if i explain what i already have:

I have a PC that is connected to ADSL broadband, this also has a wireless router, for which my PS3 can access my PC.
MY PS3 can see my media on the PC thanks to Windows Media Player 11.
I have set up a secure router using WEP.

I hope that helps anyone to answer my question. Sorry for previously not giving enough info.

Regards, :thumbsup:

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 AM

Posted 03 January 2008 - 03:51 PM

Your router acts as primary protection.

I also believe that your software firewall protects any device that connects directly to the network, which your PS3 seems to do.

Louis

#5 wce06

wce06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2008 - 02:03 AM

Thanks for the help and info.

Regards,

:thumbsup: