Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Flooders

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Nebon

Nebon

• Members
  • 164 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 AM

Posted 03 January 2008 - 02:08 AM

I didnt know if this question fitted under any particular category, so I thought I would leave it here.

I know there are several types of flooder so to clarify which one I mean, as I do not know its particular name, here is a description of the type:
'This malicious program is designed to send a large number of IP packets to a remote machine. When the program is started, the malicious user is required to enter the IP address of the computer to be attacked, the port to be attacked, a faked sender address, and number of packets to be sent.
This malicious program may cause applications on the server under attack to suffer reduced performance in supporting network connections.'

Just some questions, feel free to state if you cannot answer a question due to some users using this data maliciously:
  • How large, in performance terms, could a flooder have on a network?
  • If there were several machines flooding one small network could it bring down a firewall or cause the server to crash?
  • How do current safeguards against flooders work?
  • What would be the effect of using a rotating proxy in conjunction with a flooder?
  • Could a flooder potentially bring down defenses of a network?
  • Could a flooder allow someone to change the source code of a HTTP page?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 03 January 2008 - 03:41 AM

Even if I knew the answers to your questions,which I don't, I would not answer them.

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 03 January 2008 - 05:22 AM

Hmmm... while not specifically prohibited by the board rules, I would venture that BC will not provide the information you seek. Might I suggest a more topic specific site: http://www.networksecuritytech.com/

#4 Nebon

Nebon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 164 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 AM

Posted 03 January 2008 - 06:28 AM

Okay. Thanks for the pointer to the other site :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users