Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hp Dvd1040i 20x Multiformat Dvd Writer

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 HedPlaya

HedPlaya

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 02 January 2008 - 11:07 PM

I purchased this drive, and it is recognized correctly in bios and in the device manager in windows. However, when I put a disc in it [DVD-R(+/-), CD-R, CD-RW, Audio CD] and tried to access it, I received an error saying that "the request could not be performed because of an I/O device error." I have not touched anything as I was searching for some answers, and found none. After about 30 minutes or so, I clicked on the drive for fun and now a readme file shows up and when i opened it, it said "This disc contains a "UDF" file system and requires an operating system that supports the ISO-13346 "UDF" file system specification." Anyone have any suggestions on what to try. Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 HedPlaya

HedPlaya
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2008 - 11:16 PM

Oh yeah, this is for Windows XP.

#3 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 03 January 2008 - 01:19 AM

Window$ is not good at reading udf files. HERE is a link to read up on it, there is a udf reader link near the bottom. But a word of warning, I have the same problem, and the reader only works when it wants to. Which seems to be, not very often. If you can find a computer that is running Window$ 98 you might try to read your disk on it and copy the files to the hard drive, then to a USB drive and see if that will work for you. I have not tried that yet, I keep meaning to, but you know how it is. Other things just keep coming up and it gets put off.... :thumbsup:

edit: for spelling..

Edited by Wildabeast, 03 January 2008 - 01:20 AM.

"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#4 HedPlaya

HedPlaya
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2008 - 08:21 AM

Ok, So the whole "This disc contains a "UDF" file system and requires an operating system that supports the ISO-13346 "UDF" file system specification," is not a part of the problem. The disk was MS Flight Simulator X, and I read that you get this exact error if you have Nero 7 installed (which I do).

So, the real problem is back to the drive not recognizing any discs. In windows explorer, in the folders pane, the drive label is listed as "DVD-RAM." When I put a disk in (any format again) the label changes to "CD Drive" and I get "the request could not be performed because of an I/O device error." Now, 2 times, the drive label did correctly show the proper disk label. I was able to access the disk to see the files within windows explorer, but when I went to accesss any file I would again receive the same device error.

If there is any other system information that could be useful let me know and I will try to provide it.

I don't know what to do with this or even what to try to fix it. Does it sound like a defective drive or is it more likely the setup is wrong.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,818 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 03 January 2008 - 10:21 AM

What's the jumper setting on the drive?

If attached as a second drive to an IDE cable, the jumpers must reflect the same set of jumper settings as the other drive attached. If the other drive is at C/S for the jumper, the second drive must also be set as C/S. If the first drive incorporates M/S settings, then the 2d drive must use those settings for the jumper.

If this is a single drive on a cable, it doesn't matter which setting is used.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=891894

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 03 January 2008 - 10:34 AM.

#6 HedPlaya

HedPlaya
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2008 - 12:41 PM

Currently, it is set as Master and my other CD is set as slave. I have attempted to switch them but received the same results. I also tried the advice on microsofts website. I changed the transfer mode and when I booted up it took about 5 minutes to load windows, and the problem was still not resolved.

Edited by HedPlaya, 03 January 2008 - 12:43 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users