Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing Java In Firefox

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Miljet

Miljet

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 02 January 2008 - 09:13 PM

I've just installed Ubuntu in a dual boot configuration. I need to install Java plugin in the Firefox (version 2.0.0.11) browser. I have downloaded the self-extracting download from Sun to my desktop. The installation instructions at the Sun site tell me to install it from the terminal, but the commands don't work. It says to first type in "su" and then the password. When I put in my password, the terminal displays "su: Authentication failure Sorry." I have searched through numerous sites looking for another installation guide, but haven't found anything. Can someone point me to a good set of installations? I'm really stumbling around in the dark here, as this is my first experience with Linux.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 AM

Posted 02 January 2008 - 09:59 PM

Getting Java to work on linux is a bit of a joy. Ubuntu does not allow for a super user (well, that is not exactly true, but you do not need to worry about it :thumbsup: ) Just try typing in sudo instead on the same line as whatever command is necessary to install the file. Once you get that far, I'll help you install the plugin. That's the hard part. :flowers:

#3 Miljet

Miljet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2008 - 12:12 PM

Thanks Groovicus for the help. I used the sudo command to change the permissions to executable and ran the file. I have no idea where it installed and can't find it. (I am still trying to learn how to navigate the file structure.) When I go back to the java site and and run their "Verify Installation", it tells me that the java plug-in is installed. But when I try to play an on-line game, I still get the message that java is not installed. I have gone into preferences and made sure that both "Enable javaScript" and "Enable jave" are checked. I am at a loss as to what to do next. I suspect that I need to somehow link the installed file, if I can find it.

Edited by Miljet, 03 January 2008 - 12:42 PM.

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2008 - 12:51 PM

Now comes the fun stuff... no really. First of all, you need to figure out where it was installed. Specifically, which java package did you install? I am assuming that you downloaded the JRE?

#5 Miljet

Miljet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2008 - 05:27 PM

I downloaded Sun java version 6 update 3. The file is jre-6u3-linux-i586-rpm.bin. I downloaded it to my desktop. When I open the terminal the default prompt is jack@mert:-$. I changed into a Public directory under that before running the executable. I was under the impression that it would install in a new subdirectory under that, but when I use the ls command, the only thing that shows is the jre-6u3-linux-i586.rpm file. From there, I don't know where to look, or even what I am looking for specifically.

Edited to correct spelling.

Edited by Miljet, 03 January 2008 - 05:28 PM.

#6 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2008 - 06:20 PM

First, type in this from the command prompt:
sudo update
This will update the list of files that are on your system. Once that is done, type in:
sudo locate libjavaplugin_oji.so
That should help you locate where your plugin is located. Keep track of that path. Now you need to figure out where your Firefox plugins go, so:
sudo locate firefox| grep plugin
Note the locations. Respond back with those, and I should be able to tell you where to put the plugin.

#7 Miljet

Miljet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2008 - 07:00 PM

sudo update returns: sudo: update: command not found

sudo locate libjavaplugin_oji.so returns: Nothing, it just returns to the input prompt

sudo locate firefox| grep plugin returns: Lots of entries such as:
/usr/lib/firefox/plugins/Libtotem-narrowspace-plugin.so
/usr/lib/firefox/plugins/Libtotem-basic-plugin.so
/usr/lib/firefox/plugins/Libtotem-mully-plugin.so
/usr/lib/firefox/plugins/Libtotem-narrowspace-plugin.xpt
and much more

#8 Miljet

Miljet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2008 - 07:15 PM

The installation instruction says that the JRE is installed in a directory called jre1.6.0_02 under the current directory if that helps.

#9 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2008 - 07:20 PM

My bad.. that first one should have been:
sudo updatedb

Sorry about that....

#10 Miljet

Miljet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2008 - 07:37 PM

The sudo updatedb apparently worked. The system paused for almost a full minute, then returned to the command prompt.
I did a sudo locate using some wildcards. I turned up /usr/lib/openoffice/program/sunjaveplugin.so. Is this what we are looking for?

#11 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2008 - 07:46 PM

No. We are looking for libjavaplugin_oji.so, and we are looking for your Firefox install so that we know where to put the link to the plugin. :thumbsup: Don't use wildcards, otherwise you will end up with a bunch more than you need. Just try the commands I gave you.

#12 Miljet

Miljet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2008 - 08:23 PM

OK, I reran the commands you gave me.
The sudo updatedb paused for just a second, then returned to the command prompt.
The sudo locate libjavaplugin_oji.so still doesn't find anything.
The sudo locate firefox| grep plugin returns so much stuff that it scrolls off the top of the screen. Some of the results are:
/usr/share/firefox/searchplugins/wikipedia.src
/usr/share/firefox/searchplugins/answers.xml
/usr/share/firefox/searchplugins/google.xml and several similiar files
/user/lib/firefox/extensions/ubufox@ubuntu.com/content/pluginInstallerDatasource.js
/user/lib/firefox/extensions/ubufox@ubuntu.com/content/pluginInstallerService.js
/user/lib/firefox/extensions/ubufox@ubuntu.com/content/pluginInstallerWizard.js
/usr/lib/firefox/components/libgkplugin.so
/usr.lib/firefox/components/plugin.xpt
And the /usr/lib/firefox/plugins/ files I sent earlier
Also I just scrolled back up and found these:
/usr/share/app-install/icons/firefox-launchpad-plugin.xpm
/usr/share/app-install/desktop/firefox-launchpad-plugin.desktop
/home/jack/.mozilla/firefox/pluginreg.dat

If the file libjavaplugin_oji.so can't be found, could that mean that the installation didn't work right?

Edited to add more information

Edited by Miljet, 03 January 2008 - 08:42 PM.

#13 Miljet

Miljet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2008 - 09:25 PM

I'm going to have to put this project on hold. I'm leaving tomorrow morning for a week and won't be able to work on it until I get back. Thank you very much for the help Groovicus. Even though I didn't get the java plugin working, I have a much better understanding of the file system and some of the commands. And at least I know what file I am looking for.

#14 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2008 - 07:23 PM

I got busy for a bit also. Let me know when you are ready to pick up again... pm me if necessary if I do not respond.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users