Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Downloading Security Software

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 don_s

don_s

• Members
  • 163 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 PM

Posted 02 January 2008 - 08:27 PM

Hi everyone...

So, here's my conundrum. I want to install new security software that I plan to buy online. Unfortunately, I just rebuilt my hard-drive and have no security software installed...

So, how do I get online and download the software if I don't have any security software to protect me while I'm doing so?

I gather that the site I visit (probably BitDefender, or perhaps NOD32) will be secure and my credit card number will be protected... but how do I protect myself from picking up an infection as I surf to the site in the first place...

Sorry if I've posted this in the wrong forum.

Thanks,
Don.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 02 January 2008 - 08:49 PM

Are you using your unprotected computer now? If not, perhaps a friend has an antivirus setup saved on a data cd. You could copy and install it for now before going online. Windows Firewall (if you're using XP) will probably be okay for now.

If not, and you are already using your computer, then download and install something that is free, or something with a free-trial. Use it for now. Then before going online to buy the full product, do a full system scan to make sure you haven't picked up anything in the meantime. Most antivirus programs want you to do that after installing their program anyway, in order to establish a baseline for comparison of your files so it can intercept unwanted changes.

#3 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,907 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 02 January 2008 - 11:04 PM

You could also go to a public terminal and download a free AV and whatever other security stuff you might need, install them on your home computer and then if you decide you still want a commercial product, you can then download it on your home computer.

I would suggest perusing [topic="http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html"]this topic[/topic] for good free software.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#4 don_s

don_s
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 163 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2008 - 10:47 AM

Thanks guys...

I'm actually on a friend's computer, which is sitting right beside mine. I haven't used mine to go online yet -- I was thinking originally that I would just download the software to his machine, then burn to disc, and install on my machine... Of course, I then realized that anything I downloaded to his machine would probably begin installing automatically.

I wasn't sure if using just the windows firewall would be enough protection...

I guess I wasn't sure if I could download something onto one machine and then install it on my own. If that's the case, I'll either use this computer to download, and/or I'll just trust in (dare I say it) the Windows firewall...

Thanks for your suggestions.
D.

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2008 - 11:22 AM

Well the Windows firewall will protect you from downloading unrequested packets.
If you connect to the Internet, and proceed immediately to the Anti-virus download site, and then proceed immediately to any anti-spyware sites (since you have a second computer handy this should be easy) and download those, your risks for infection are minimal.
Only after you have installed, updated and and scanned your hardrive with these applications (including a better firewall) should you use your connexion for anything else.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 don_s

don_s
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 163 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2008 - 11:32 AM

Thanks John... This really helps.

I guess I could save myself the hassle and try to find the software in a store nearby. Strangely, it seems that the only products available in Toronto this week are Norton (which i've experienced and don't want), or McAfee. I was hoping to get NOD32 or BitDefender, and for some reason, they seem totatly unavailable around here.

Anyway, thanks again,
D.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users