Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Product Key Update Tool

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 shudokansam

shudokansam

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 02 January 2008 - 08:07 PM

Afew months ago I had my Windows Xp computer reformatted to remove viruses and make my computer run better.

Sure enough it did make my computer run better. But the person that did it for me, installed a "Not Genuine" copy of Windows XP. So in turn, I can no long get updates from windows.

After telling a classmate about this problem he informed me that I should have my Windows Genuine Product Key on the side of my tower. After getting home and looking, sure enough I did.

After looking through Windows support website I found the "Windows Product Key Update Tool" but when I type my code in I get the Error "The Product Key entered is not a valid key for this system. Please check typing errors and try again."
I know its the right code.

I then used the "Windows Validation Advisor". It told me:

"The product key you entered does not match the key currently in use. The Windows product key in use is a Volume License Key (VLK) that has been blocked. A VLK is typically licensed to an organization, such as a business or educational institution, that wants to use multiple copies of Windows. Volume License Keys are not designated for home use.

Often repair shops, friends, or relatives incorrectly use VLKs as a quick and easy repair solution. If a VLK is reported as stolen or leaked, it is blocked from passing validation and is not considered genuine.

If you suspect this has happened to you, you may be a victim of software counterfeiting. Learn how to get genuine below."

Then it gave me this Option:

"Reinstall Your Operating System
Though the product key you entered does not match the product key installed on this computer, you may not have to purchase a new copy of Windows XP.

By using your original Windows XP media, you can reinstall your originally purchased operating system instead of purchasing a new copy of Windows XP. Re-installation may result in data-loss.

If you do not wish to reinstall your originally purchased operating system, you can purchase a Windows Genuine Advantage Kit to convert your system to genuine Windows without reinstalling Windows."

To do that I would need A windows Xp cd. Which I don't have.

So basically are there any other options I have in this predicament?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 02 January 2008 - 08:19 PM

Sorry to hear of your predicament.

First, I'd have a little chat with the person who installed the "not genuine" copy of XP. If it was something you paid for, you should either get a refund or a reinstall (including CD) with a copy that can be registered.

Failing that, you might be able to buy a replacement CD directly from Microsoft. As long as you still have a valid key and can convince them that your original purchase (pre-reformatting) was legitimate and registered to you, they'll probably send you a CD for a fairly minimal amount.

If that doesn't work, it sounds as though purchasing the Windows Genuine Advantage Kit would be your best bet. I'd imagine it wouldn't cost as much as buying a brand new copy of XP. Also check to see if you can get a CD with the kit.

Hope this helps a bit. Good luck!

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 AM

Posted 02 January 2008 - 09:03 PM

In general, if you're using a VLK and it's been reported as pirated - you won't be able to get it activated. The key is the most important part of the installation - you can use different disks, but if the key is bad you're just not going to get anywhere.

So, the question then is..."Who put the sticker on the case?" If it was the same person that installed the illegal copy of Windows you may not have much recourse.

But, if it's the key that came with the computer when you bought it, then you may be able to order Restore CD's from the manufacturer (usually about $20 US). But you'll still have to overcome the issue of the invalid key.

As I recall, when reinstalling Windows and reactivating it, there is an option on one of the screens to Change the Product Key. If you're able to locate this, change the key to the one that's on the sticker (the one that's not a VLK key). If not, then you may have to resort to a format and reinstall to get the legitimate key recognized.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 shudokansam

shudokansam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2008 - 09:08 PM

The Key on the side of my comp is the original xp code. so Its been there entire time, but if I was to get a Restore CD from the manufacture, why would I still have the problem with an invalid key?

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2008 - 09:14 PM

Because the person who reinstalled Windows on your system used an invalid key - so Windows figures that it's invalid until you tell it differently (by using the "Change Product Key" option that I described above). Here's an article from Microsoft that describes the procedure also: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328874

If you get a restore CD from the manufacturer, you "MAY" be able to do a repair install and change the key at that time (but that depends on the make and model of your computer as each manufacturer is different.

Using the restore CD's to reformat the computer and start over fresh will also allow you to change the product key.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2008 - 09:15 PM

You will if you continue to use the VLK copy of XP that we already know can't be registered. It wasn't just the key that Microsoft turned down, but it also recognized the version of XP installed on your machine as not being a standard consumer product that has already been registered with them. At least, that's the way I interpret it.

ETA: By the way, usasma knows tons more than I do, so I'll leave this in his hands now. :thumbsup:

Edited by Dialer, 02 January 2008 - 09:17 PM.

#7 shudokansam

shudokansam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2008 - 09:27 PM

But the key currently assigned to my comp (VLK Xp Premium) is different than the one on the side of my computer (Genuine XP home).

So if I was able to get a system restore CD from HP (my comp's manufacture), do you know if I would be able to use my old key?

#8 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2008 - 09:46 PM

So if I was able to get a system restore CD from HP (my comp's manufacture), do you know if I would be able to use my old key?

Yes, because they'd be sending you a CD only if you're able to prove that you bought the computer with XP preinstalled.

But first, did you read the article that usasma provided the link for? That method might work without your having to get a replacement CD. Be sure that the "new" key you use is actually the original key for the version that came with your computer.

#9 shudokansam

shudokansam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2008 - 10:04 PM

Im fairly certain that the key on the side of the comp is the original because Microsoft tells me the last 4 digits from VLK code in current use.

Im also not sure if the "http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328874" would work because on this VLK code I'm running Windows XP pro, where as the genuine code is for a Windows XP home computer.

Should I still try it?

And thank you again: Dailer and usasma for your help

#10 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2008 - 10:49 PM

vlk or corporate is windows xp pro where 100's of computers are loaded with the same key, any and all would fail validation,
but they don't get updated that way, that's what system network administrators are for

if your key was for home oem that what you need to have installed, and since it's inferior to xp pro, that will have to be a clean install, with activation then validation

I am keeping an oem home and pro handy for just such problems, loading pro and then using a home key won't work.

It's awful getting someone's computer to fix and it's beyond repair and having no software.

Maybe if a judge declared MS, Dell, HP, etc negligent and awarded a few billion dollars in a class action suit, this sort of shoddy business practise would cease.

:thumbsup:

Edited by DaChew, 02 January 2008 - 11:00 PM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#11 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2008 - 11:58 PM

Im also not sure if the "http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328874" would work because on this VLK code I'm running Windows XP pro, where as the genuine code is for a Windows XP home computer.

Should I still try it?

And thank you again: Dailer and usasma for your help

Ahhhh. Well, as Chewy said, it won't work. You're going to need to contact HP to get this squared away.

Just so you know for the future, that kind of information would have been a big help at the beginning of the thread. It's always better to provide as much info as possible.

Maybe if a judge declared MS, Dell, HP, etc negligent and awarded a few billion dollars in a class action suit, this sort of shoddy business practise would cease.

I so agree! After seeing this kind of thing happen to so many people, when I ordered my current computer I told Dell that I wouldn't buy it unless they included all the necessary CDs at no extra charge. They did.

#12 shudokansam

shudokansam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2008 - 01:39 AM

Ok, I just ordered a "HP recovery kit" for about $17. Hopefully it will let me change the windows key. Thanks again guys for your help

#13 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2008 - 01:45 AM

You're most welcome. Good luck, and let us know how it turns out, please. :thumbsup:

#14 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2008 - 06:54 AM

If you use the recovery kit to restore your computer to factory condition (ie - wipe everything out and start over), it will let you use the legitimate key from the sticker on the side of your computer.

You likely won't be able to fix it using the other methods as it's XPPro and you have an XPHome key. There is a possibility that you can perform a downgrade installation of XPHome (using the repair install method along with an XPHome disk) - but I'm not sure of the requirements for that.

Finally, you may experience a problem with activating your XPHome if it's already been activated before and there has been significant hardware changes since then. If so, use the Telephone option to call for activation. The computer will ask you some questions about the installation and, if you answer the questions correctly, will generate a key to activate your system. If you don't answer them correctly you'll be diverted to a human who'll ask you essentially the same questions and will generate a key to activate your system.

Generally the questions will involve how many machines that your copy of XP is installed on (answer = 1) and if there's been any change in the hardware since the last activation (most important are the motherboard and hard drive).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users