Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Status Icon Shows Connected, But Cannot Ping Gateway, Other Computer Or Internet

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Monica7736

Monica7736

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 02 January 2008 - 06:26 PM

Hi all,
This is my first post here and I hope I can get some help. I have read through many many posts trying to find my specific problem and did find some helpful hints along the way, but alas, I haven't found my EXACT problem, so here goes:

When visiting a forum on the laptop a few days ago, I clicked on a link I wanted to read and suddenly firefox gave me a "server not found" error. I have not been able to get on the internet since.

Before you send me to the internet forum, check this out: I tried doing some pings to google.com, to my desktop pc and to my gateway ip's with no luck. I get "Destination Host Unreachable".

Let me back up, here are my specifics:

Laptop HP Pavilion dv1000
OS Win XP Pro, SP2
Mostly use Firefox
built in wireless

Home internet through ATT Uverse (fiber optic)
Their router is 2WIRE

So at first I thought I had a problem connecting to the internet, but now it looks like it might actually be a network problem. The other weird thing about all this is that both the wireless and ethernet icons in the status bar show connected and give me the connection speed when I hover over them. But, they are grayed out instead of being lit up. I have my laptop sitting here next to me with a cat5 cable plugged in and the wireless turned on, but am unable to ping anything.

I haven't installed anything recently either. My husband has been using the laptop a lot lately, just for reading in forums mostly. Here is a list of everything I have tried so far:

Rebooted the laptop
Reset the router
Clicked repair for both the wireless and local area connections
made sure that both ie and firefox are allowed in the firewall (which is Norton Security Online provided by Yahoo! Online Protection, came with my broadband)
ran chkdsk
set both ie and ff to autodetect proxy settings
cleared internet temp files and cookies through ie
ran ipconfig from cmd window and got "Windows IP Configuration" and then back to command prompt, no info listed at all (weird, right?)
did a ping to 127.0.0.1 and got "Reply from 127.0.0.1: bytes-32 time <1ms TTL-128" four times - I think that's good right?

So, sorry for the long post, but I hope all this detail will help someone to help me. We are very frustrated because we are used to having the laptop available to get on the internet wirelessly and it's driving me crazy to have to sit at the desk! Thanks so much to all!
:thumbsup:
Stand up for your principles, even if you stand alone

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 02 January 2008 - 09:34 PM

Does any errors show in the Event Viewer the same time this happened?
http://ask-leo.com/what_is_the_event_viewe...uld_i_care.html
Also try checking Device manager for any yellow exclamation points
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Monica7736

Monica7736
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2008 - 10:28 PM

Thanks for responding Mark! I checked the event viewer and there are no errors showing. Just information entries regarding LiveUpdate.

In device manager, there is one item with a yellow question mark, it is for a video controller.

In the meantime, I have used my desktop pc to download spybot sd, adaware 2007 and Avant Anti virus. I burned them to a cd and am installing them as I write this post. Spybot won't install because I can't access the internet. Adaware installed and scanned, but only found cookies, nothing else critical.

I have not yet installed the AV, but will do that next.

I hope I will hear more from you later! Thanks again!
:thumbsup:

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2008 - 09:49 AM

According to quietman7 Spybot S &D and Adaware both aren't really recommended anymore. I quit using both some time ago. I use AVG Free anti-spyware. Check out the malware section for more recommendations. I'll get back in a bit with other suggestions
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#5 Monica7736

Monica7736
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2008 - 01:36 PM

Well, I spent most of yesterday trying everything I could think of and snooping around forums for more ideas when I was about to give up. Then, my husband came in, (he is the non-techie of the two of us, supposedly I am the techie, I used to do software support for a living) when he suggested deleting the network connection and re-creating it. I went in to look at the network connections again which I had already looked at many times that day when I noticed that both my wireless connection and my lan connection showed up under "network bridges". This didn't seem right to me so I right clicked and chose to "remove from network bridge". This moved the connection to the "LAN or High Speed Internet" grouping. Then, suddenly, both connections were active and I could get on my network!

I really don't know how those connections got moved to network bridge, I never went in to there and made any changes like that, but I am happy to be typing this post from the laptop while sitting at the kitchen table.

Thanks, Mark for your help. I did install the AVG Free Anti spyware program and will un-install the others. I think the cleanup and scanning of my system was a good thing and probably long overdue. My husband was the happiest of all, he took the laptop and his coffee with him out to his garage this morning exclaiming as he went out the door "I can use the laptop in the garage again!". He had been relegated to sitting at the desk to read his forums. I think it's time to get him his own laptop so I can have mine back.

Anyway, this post is closed and I thank Mark who endeavored to help me with this problem. And, I thank this forum just for being there. It is comforting to know that such a large community of techies exists and that I can get computer help whenever I need it. :flowers: :thumbsup:

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2008 - 03:14 PM

Glad to hear you got it working
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users