Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Norton Internet Security 2007, Spyware Issue (bfgtoolbar)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

#1 tobyo

tobyo

• Members
  • 755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 AM

Posted 02 January 2008 - 06:24 PM

Hello. I'm new here and have been reading some of the great advice given. I will have to peruse further, once my computer issue is solved. I am writing this from my work PC because I am darn frustrated with my home computer at the moment.

Norton internet security found a spyware called BFGtoolbar in a recent scan, maybe a week or so ago? it is labeled medium risk and there is no option to remove it. you get to review or exclude it. in the review there are instructions on how to remove the spyware.....except that didn't work! I get online with Norton to ask about all this and they tell me they can help but it will cost me $100. meanwhile, two other spyware scans (the scan is free but you have to pay to have them remove what they find.....hmmm....) find two more things and they are labeled high risk (spyware.DSSagent and adware.look2me). I have not done any of those options. instead a friend recommended another site that she's used and I start going thru the instructions to clean my system, much like the help written here and using many of the same softwares (ad aware, stinger, CWShredder). except none of those even turn up the bfgtoolbar, instead I deleted a bunch of cookies today. I did find big fish games (I think that's what the BFG stands for) in my add/remove programs but I cannot remove it there. I get some error saying I cannot remove it. can I delete the thing from my hard drive then empty my recycle bin and be done with it? I have a feeling that doesn't get rid of it......

my other issue has to do with Norton so maybe I'll search here and see if someone else has this issue.....but that's the reason I'm not using my home PC at the moment. my virus protection keeps getting shut down.........

anyway, any help with my spyware question will be greatly appreciated!

Edited by tobyo, 02 January 2008 - 06:25 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,530 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2008 - 07:01 PM

Hello and welcome to BC tobyo !!
Try this scan:excellent, free and no catches.
Download SUPERAntiSpyware, Free Home Version. Save to desktop ..
DO NOT run yet.
Open SUPER from icon and install and Update it
Under Scanner Options make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):
Close browsers before scanning.
Scan for tracking cookies.
Terminate memory threats before quarantining.

Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen and exit the program. DO NOT run yet.
Now reboot into Safe Mode: How to start Windows in Safe Mode

Scan with SUPER
Open from the desktop icon or the program Files list
On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
Perform a Complete scan. After scan,Verify they are all checked.
Click OK on the summary screen to quarantine all found items.
If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes" and reboot normally.

To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log.
A text file will open in your default text editor.
Please copy and paste the Scan Log results in your next reply.
Click Close to exit the program.

Please ask any needed questions and Let us know how the PC is operating now.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 755 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2008 - 07:45 PM

hey, thanks for the reply!! I am at a loss at the moment because all the anti spyware softwares that I downloaded and ran today have caused an error (the worst I have seen it and I have seen it before....) with my Norton Internet security 2007. it's error 0x000003EE. I think that uninstalling then reinstalling it will solve that so maybe I'll run this one you've suggested before I do that and see if it removes the darn spyware.

thanks! will let you know what happens......

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,530 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2008 - 07:54 PM

You're welcome! Definately run that scan,if you have a problem getting to Safe Mode run it in normal once then try again. It will take more than an hour,but it is one of the best products,you will see.
After all that and you post back the log you can go here for the Norton Issue. L@@K

Good Luck
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 755 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2008 - 09:26 PM

well, guess what? I removed 58 items but there was no log listed so I can't post the log. :thumbsup:

meanwhile, Norton got back to me and they claim I could be getting that error because of corrupted live update files and they gave me instructions on how to delete those then uninstall then reinstall live update. oh, joy.

back to square one I guess......I don't know if the SUPER scan removed the bfgtoolbar however.....

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,530 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2008 - 09:45 PM

When you
Open SUPERAntispyware .
Below the Scanner Log window are 2 boxes..They should have a Check in them.
Keep a detailed log of scanning results(recommended)
Save Empty/Clean Logs

#7 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 755 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2008 - 09:49 PM

When you
Open SUPERAntispyware .
Below the Scanner Log window are 2 boxes..They should have a Check in them.
Keep a detailed log of scanning results(recommended)
Save Empty/Clean Logs

yep, they're both checked but nothing is listed under the scanner logs area, just a bar that says log......

and of course the instructions from Norton are faulty....ugh.

#8 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 755 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2008 - 10:00 PM

also...the bfgtoolbar is still there.........

#9 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 755 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2008 - 10:13 PM

I did look at the Norton error thing that you gave me as well. this error doesn't happen when I'm installing it. it happens more often when I have anti spyware software downloaded. it's gone berzerk!!! Norton tells me this error could happen due to corrupt live update files. they gave me instructions on how to delete these files except that 1) they aren't in the path they gave me 2) when I did find "live update" files, there were none that looked like the ones they told me I should delete. next up they say to uninstall live update then reinstall. I sent a reply to their email but they probably won't get back to me soon so am wondering: should I go ahead with the instructions to uninstall and then reinstall? at this point, what harm could that do? I wonder......

and then again, I've been at this off and on all damn day and I think I need to take a damn break before I pull the rest of my hair out!!

thanks for the help tho, I really appreciate it!!

Edited by tobyo, 02 January 2008 - 10:17 PM.

#10 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,530 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2008 - 10:14 PM

Very strange ...I think it is best that we go in deeper. You will need to use the supervision of our HiJackThis team. Produce the log for HJT. Make no changes to your PC once you post it. And only take instruction from the team member that responds to you. It will be a couple days as they are jammed right now. But they will help you find and remove the culprits.
You can skip anything you have already done and if something doesn't want to execute on your way to posting the Log.
Preparation Guide for use before posting a HijackThis Log
Post that log here,by clicking new topic and give it a title.
HijackThis Logs and Malware Removal

This will be one Big Fish that won't get away.

EDIT... this may all be cured thru the HJ team you can tell them about Norton when they post back to you.
Let me know you've posted the log so I can close this topic,thanks good luck!
EDIT II.. Here's a description of theat malware Sun Belt

And You're quite welcome

Edited by boopme, 02 January 2008 - 10:23 PM.

#11 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,530 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2008 - 10:27 PM

TO Remove it completly before reinstall us this tool
Download and run the Norton Removal Tool

#12 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 755 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2008 - 10:30 PM

okay, I posted the log in that other forum......

#13 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 755 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2008 - 10:33 PM

TO Remove it completly before reinstall us this tool
Download and run the Norton Removal Tool

oh yea, did that last week for another error! grrrrrrrrr......but it did solve that one. totally unrelated to this, or that's just my opinion.

okay, over and out for now.

#14 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,530 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2008 - 10:36 PM

Always feel free to PM me if neccessary

Now that your log is properly posted, you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a HJT Team member, nor should you continue to ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show it the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the HJT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the HJT Team members are very busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

If after 5 days you still have received no response, then post a link to your HJT log in the thread titled "Haven't Had A Reply In Five Days?".

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users