Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network News Video's

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 pll8on

pll8on

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 AM

Posted 02 January 2008 - 06:09 PM

I used to be able to play the video news from the above referenced news channels (except Fox).
I can still play the news on AP and MSNBC on both browsers. Also a local Tampa Bay News 10 will play the videos. I have tried the above mentioned news broadcast on both IE7 and Firefox and both browsers refuse to play. Some of the time the video will open and stop after 2 or seconds. My system has ZoneAlarm firewall, AVG virus detection, spywareblaster and PestPatrol for security. My OS is Windows XP Home edition with SP2. Have the networks made some changes or something to their format? Or is something not set correctly on my computer?

Didn't see any helpful information by Googling.

Edit: Moved topic to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 02 January 2008 - 06:57 PM

Are these embedded videos or does a window pop up? Sometimes popup blockers will block the video player and you have to adjust it to allow the player. Normally I would ask about Flash but many proprietary sites don't use Flash. They might use Windows Media, Real Player or Quicktime. The way to find that out is right click on the player and it will tell you. Were these playing before when you were using IE6?

#3 pll8on

pll8on
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2008 - 01:44 AM

Been playing around. I downloaded Adobe Flash Player 9 and updated to version 9.0.115.0
I tried unblocking popups using the Firefox browser but that made no difference.
I believe that all were working with IE6 but an auto update gave me IE7 (I think)
I also have Windows Media Player, Real Player and Quicktime.
I was thinking I needed a Mozilla plug-in for Firefox but since IE7 wasn't working I did no plug-ins.

After changing from Flash Player 7 to version 9, I then opened each news media which were not working.
Results: On CBS - it is now working. All I did was right click the pop-up player and changed 'deny' to 'allow'
CNN - no luck. message after right clicking pop-up player says video system cant establish connectivity and the problem may be a proxy/firewall issue. Also something about downloading the Turner Media Player but didn't work.
ABC - right clicked player and selected settings and 'allow' , clicked on advanced and it stated 'no stream' and something about Disney FSP version 0.9.10.03
Fox - hasn't been working for ages, decided to check it again and now it is playing like a charm ????

Anyhow, I gained two video newscasts so I now have MSNBC, AP, CBS, Fox and a local Tampa Bay channel so I guess that should cover everything going on in the world.

Thanks for the advice on the right-clicking the pop-up players. I didn't realize that one could do that.

#4 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2008 - 06:45 AM

Tell you what. Why don't you post the specific urls you're having problems with and I'll take a look at them. There's probably a simple solution.

#5 pll8on

pll8on
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2008 - 08:56 PM

I can't get these to run.

http://www.baynews9.com/Home.html

http://www.cbsnews.com/ and select their video news. Starts up and stops after 1 or 2 seconds

http://www.cnn.com/ (using Firefox browser) Clicking on live video I get this message error :PLUGIN ERROR:
Oops! You need the latest version of the Turner Media Plugin to view this video. Download it now.

Please restart your browser after the plugin is installed.
The download is wmvfirefoxpluginset.exe which I downloaded but it still doesn't play.

http://abcnews.go.com/ --- starts to play then stops after few seconds, then no responce to any mouse clicks

NOTE: IE7 and Firefox will not play these video broadcasts.

#6 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2008 - 11:46 AM

They all play for me and they all use Flash. There are probably two things you can do. One thing is to clear out your browser cache. The other is to go into the advanced settings of Flash and try something there. These things can be awfully finicky sometimes. And CNN didn't ask me about a plugin and I've never watched a video there before. I use IE6. This looks like it might be related to browser compatibility and just needs some tweaking.

#7 pll8on

pll8on
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2008 - 12:38 PM

I've exhausted all attempts to get ABC, CBS and CNN videos to play on either IE7 or Firefox. I will have to live without them. I, however, did get CNN Live (streaming-old pipeline) to open and play on IE7. On Firefox, it asks me to download a Turner Media plug-in which will not download. AP, Fox, MSNBC and NBC should be able to supply me with all the news I need. If these sites ever fail I will have to move to the living room and switch on the boob-tube. (Not as much enjoyment as computing and getting news at the same time.)

Thanks for all the assisstance.

#8 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2008 - 06:52 PM

If you want to save even more time, you should go to RSS feeds. I don't go to many websites anymore. I just get the feed in my RSS reader and if I want to read it, I just click and a new window opens. And if you're looking for multiple video reports for news items, check out the video search engine Blinkx. http://www.blinkx.com/

#9 pll8on

pll8on
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2008 - 08:59 PM

Update - - - On Firefox I finally was able to download and open the Turner Media plugin and I am now able to play the old streaming Pipeline news, now called CNN-Live. CNN used to charge a fee to watch Pipeline (live feeds) but since have made it free. Looking/thinking back it seems my problems with ABC,CBS and CNN may have begun after my XP was upgraded to SP2 via automatic updates.

I haven't really researched the RSS feeds, in fact I have been curious as to what it provided. I will also give blinkx a view. Thanks Frank

#10 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2008 - 06:44 AM

I am planning to look at the new and improved NewsGator Online. It looks very interesting. You can get it at http://www.newsgator.com/

#11 muir

muir

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 16 October 2008 - 08:21 PM

WARNING

WARNING WARNING WARNING

DO NOT download Turner Media Viewer from CNN. I downloaded it last nite thru Firefox to my new Dell Vista computer, in order to view the presidential debate. I installed it and then restarted the computer as instructed. It crashed.

On restart, I received only a screen that said Windows (Vista) was unable to start the computer. The computer went into "Startup Repair" mode and ran for an hour and a half and then said repair was not possible; gave me the option to move on to "System Restore". Tried this with 3 different restore dates, but always came up with error reading. Today spent about 3 hours on the phone with 2 different Dell tech people, who thru much agony got me up and running again, with the Media Viewer cleaned off my computer.

Apparently something in the Media Viewer software corrupted the Windows registry. (??)

WARNING WARNING WARNING

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users