Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Do I Find The Right/compatible Ram For My Hp Laptop?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 yorocco7

yorocco7

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 02 January 2008 - 06:02 PM

I have an older Laptop. I like it but its azz slow. I found out you really shouldn't run XP with only 256Mg ram. My HP Laptop only has 1 Ram slot. (unless I'm missing something. Everyone seems surprised it only has 1) I want to upgrade. I've been given Ram from other HP & Compaq laptops but none fit. How can I tell exactly what type of ram will fit my HP. I did a system check & it said I have:

256Mb Ram- P133 SDRAM

But I don't know if that is all I need to know in order to buy my Ram online. I did a search & found all kinds of different codes for RAM like:

PC 2700S 256MB DDR 333Mhz HP Laptop Memory
1GB DDR2 PC2 4200 533 SODIMM Laptop MEMORY
HP 256MB PC2700 DDR333 CL2.5 SODIMM Laptop Memory
144 pin 512MB PC 2700 DDR- How do I know what "# of PINS I need"?

It seems to me my RAM has a single notch along the edge with the gold pins more toward the middle than most RAM cards have. Thats why I'm so tentative about buying RAM.
Any help would be great!
Thanks!
Acer 5738Z - Pent.Dual Core T4200 2.0GHz - 4.00GB RAM - 64-Bit Vista Biz & Win7 Pro -Latest Moz.F.F. & T.B.- Avast!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 02 January 2008 - 06:50 PM

Scan your computer using Crucial.com. And to be sure you can use Pcwizard (under system click on the memory). Most laptops use SODIM If your search is accurate it appears yours uses SODIM PC133 SDRAM and as you described it its 144 Pin. Your friends computers probably use DDR ram which has 172, 200, or 214 pins depending on the model.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users