Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Resources Running Low

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 simonrjnash

simonrjnash

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 AM

Posted 02 January 2008 - 04:17 PM

Extender Resource Moniter keeps telling me my system resources are running low, my system is:

Processor: Intel ® Celeron ® M CPU 410 @1.46GHz
L2 Cache: 1,024kb
Memory: 1,016 MB (56% used)

C: Drive:

Total size:
51.13 GB

Used: 21.51 GB
Free: 29.62 GB

I dont understand why the system is running slow to start from the login screen and takes a while to load completely and takes a while for xp to be usable, but occasionally laggs i.e. internet explorer

i've run my norton 360 completely and ad-aware completely and has come back clean

used windows tuneup utilities to clear all uneeded clutter, but i dont understand why its running slow?

any ideas????

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 02 January 2008 - 05:36 PM

You could try increasing the size of your paging file.

To change the size of the virtual memory paging file

Edited by Budapest, 02 January 2008 - 05:37 PM.

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 02 January 2008 - 08:40 PM

You can watch the usage of 3 of the major resources in your system by using the Processes tab of Task Manager.
CPU and Memory are already listed there - and if you go to the View...Select Columns option and put a checkmark in IO Reads you'll be able to watch your hard drive activity also.

Don't be surprised if Norton takes up a big hunk of the hard drive activity - and that's usually the source of a lot of system "lag". But, the 56% memory used may also be a concern if it's a continuing thing. The names of the processes will give you a clue as to what's causing the lag tho' - as will the total number of processes running.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users