Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Start Up Error?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 02 January 2008 - 03:45 PM

Ok, Im trying to fix a new computer now >.> That laptop had to much pressure on the screen and broke the moniter.... Ok so an IBM NetVista? (No it doesn't have Vista...) Well any ways when I start up them computer, it come to the IBM screen and it freezes It gives me two options I can use them becuase the computer runs for a little. The two oprions are Press F12 to boot from the network and Press F1 for Configuration/Setup.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: I started it up pressing F1 for configuration. It said thier were corrupted values and said to repair them or reset them to factory defualts. So I reset them to Factory defualts. No when I start up it flashes the IBM screen then got to another screen that sais press F11 for product recovery.

I press F11 and then it comes to a black screen with the little white flashing bar at the top and just sits there. I try not pressing F11 and it just sits there. Its not frozen becuase the bar is still flashing.

EDIT2: Now its inconsitant with its start up. Come times it stays at the copyright screen some times its stuck at the IBM and some times product recover....

Edited by xXAlphaXx, 02 January 2008 - 04:00 PM.

If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 03 January 2008 - 12:29 AM

Sounds like it cant find the Hard Drive. Make sure that when you go into the boot setup, that it recognizes that a hard drive is there.

Gavin Seabrook

#3 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2008 - 01:39 PM

Hard drive? Really?

I changed hard drives earlier to no avail.

Mabey its the cord thats connecting the hard drive. Ill try a new cord if nothing change the hard drive agian.

Oh update on the start up status, When I start it up it comes to the IBM screen or the copywrite now. Only when it comes to the IBM screen it freezes and I don't have those 2.5 seconds to choose an option

Ill try this evening im a little busy at the moment.

EDIT: Ok it has been tried and no go. Still the same thing =(

Edited by xXAlphaXx, 03 January 2008 - 03:30 PM.

If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#4 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2008 - 05:47 PM

Sounds like a bios issue. Try to reset your BIOS using the Jumper on the motherboard. Usually you will find it near your CMOS Battery. It will be a set of 3 pins, with a peice of plastic covering 2 of the pins. Unplug the power from the PC (the cord) and then remove that Jumper (peice of plastic) and switch it to the oposite side, that way it covers the middle pin and the pin that wasnt covered before. Wait 5 seconds then move it back. Plug in your PC and try it again. Remember that you will have to resetup all your bios options.

Gavin Seabrook

#5 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2008 - 01:52 PM

Bah! I found the problem...

3 Rusted Capcitators on the MoBo
And 1 Capacitor thats been cut in half aparentally!

Wow what happened here... Oh well.

Thanks for the help any way =)

#6 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2008 - 05:48 PM

Sounds like someone try to fondle your board bro!

Gavin Seabrook

#7 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2008 - 01:55 PM

Haha, I talked to the guy that I got the computer from...

Turns out smart ass thought it would be funny to put a rat on the inside.

...why...

I asked.

They were drunk.

Agian...

Not going to him for computer advice.

Also when they too the rat out next day they found him dead, slinging directly from the hard drive, and the processor was SOMEHOW out of place with the handel still in the locked position...

Edited by xXAlphaXx, 10 January 2008 - 01:56 PM.

#8 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2008 - 11:33 PM

WTH!?!?!?!? An Actual RAT?! OMG this is the weirdest PC troubleshooting I have ever done! Well.........Good luck with that! lol

Gavin Seabrook

#9 tswsl1989

tswsl1989

• Members
  • 260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 02 February 2008 - 12:44 PM

Thats surely got to be the most bizarre tale I've heard about PC repairs!

Better like finding a better supplier for your next PC :thumbsup:
Tom

Tswsl1989
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users