Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bsod

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 bis315

bis315

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 AM

Posted 02 January 2008 - 03:42 PM

I've got Gateway CX2724 laptop with a blue screen error that started I think when either my battery died or I downloaded an upatde for neatreceipts. Right now windows XP cannot start so I'm in a continous reboot cycle. When I try to go into safe mode the computer freezes and then reboots after a few minutes. I have tried to use my OS disks but cannot boot off of it nor can I get the restore options. the blue screen is:

Stop: 0x000000D1 (0x00000018, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0xF71FA25D)

iastor.sys-address F71FA25D base at F71EB000, Datestamp 422f3bcc

I've been trying to research a little and I think there is a patch from Microsoft available but I can't install it anyway. Does anyone have any solutions or suggestions.

Thank You

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:07:15 AM

Posted 02 January 2008 - 04:24 PM

Is your cd drive set as the first boot device?
If it is, and you cannot boot from the cd, are you getting any error messages or does it just hang and not do anything?

One of the suggested fixes is to install XP Service Pack 2. Is this already installed on your computer?
As for the suggested fix that you cannot install, do you have access to another computer? If you know which update you need, search Microsoft updates to see if you can download the file to save to disk, then put it on a cd. Try installing from the cd.

I'm sure others will be offering suggestions, so check back later.

#3 bis315

bis315
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2008 - 04:58 PM

My CD is first, I don't get any error. It's says to press R to restore my system, the system restore progress bar comes on the screen but after the progress ends it goes to the blue screen.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 02 January 2008 - 05:33 PM

Faulty RAM can cause 0x000000D1 errors. Try testing your RAM with memtest86.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 AM

Posted 02 January 2008 - 08:49 PM

Since the error occurred in iastor.sys, the most likely culprit is the SATA drivers for your hard drive controller. This error is usually caused by a driver error - although hardware issues (mobo/hard drive) or memory issues (RAM/pagefile) can also cause it.

Although there are other drivers at the Gateway website, I'd suggest trying this one first: http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers...el%206.2.0.2002 (directions are included in the download).

Here's the website for all the drivers: http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers...p;param=1009036
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 bis315

bis315
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2008 - 10:12 AM

Thanks for the info, I've downloaded everything onto a usb but how do I load it onto my laptop now? It still is continuing with the restart loop.

#7 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2008 - 11:03 AM

How to update a Windows hardware driver
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#8 bis315

bis315
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2008 - 11:08 AM

The problem is, windows isn't starting at all. The Windows XP logo comes up with the progress bar and the computer then restarts.

#9 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2008 - 11:10 AM

Can you get into Safe Mode? If so, update the driver there.

How to start Windows in Safe Mode

—George Bernard Shaw

#10 bis315

bis315
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2008 - 11:26 AM

No, when I try to get into safe mode the computer freezes on the script and then restarts after a few minutes

#11 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2008 - 11:29 AM

Have you tried "Last Known Good Configuration" from the Safe Mode menu?

—George Bernard Shaw

#12 bis315

bis315
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2008 - 11:38 AM

yea, I've tried everything. The bottom line is I cannot get into windows at all. Unless there is some kind of trick I can use to access my usb, I don't know how to get the update onto the laptop. I've tried the OS disks and I can't even acess anything on them. I can get into the BIOS but can't really make any changes that I know would work.

#13 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2008 - 11:49 AM

What happens when you try to boot from a CD? Have you checked the BIOS to ensure that your CD drive is first in the boot order?

—George Bernard Shaw

#14 bis315

bis315
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2008 - 11:52 AM

When I try to boot, it says to press R to get to recovery menu it then shows the recovery progress bar and then switches to the blue screen and then restarts itself after a few minutes.

#15 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2008 - 11:57 AM

Well, I'm about out of ideas. The only thing I could recommend is to do a full system restore, but you may not want to go that far yet.

Full System Restore (with Backup) Using Gateway System Recovery Windows XP Hard Drive

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users