Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Usb Not Seeing Mouse And Flash Drive

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 02 January 2008 - 03:11 PM

The mouse I want to use is the one that I used with the computer that died a few weeks ago. It's a Belkin optical, with back and forward buttons on the side. I got used to using those buttons. When I hooked it up in the USB port, the mouse wouldn't work-computer wouldn't even see it. Yesterday, my son inserted a flash drive into the USB port and the same thing happened-it wasn't seen either.
On the computer next to the USB ports is USB 2.0. Could this be the reason why the two devices won't work? I don't even know what USB 2.0 means.
Instead of my preferred mouse, I'm using a regular mouse (It came with the computer) with the ball on the bottom and no buttons on the side-which means I have to move the cursor to the back/forward arrows at the top of the page.
Is there anything I can try which will allow me to use the optical mouse?
(yes I did try the mouse in every USB port on the computer)

I checked in device manager, there are no yellow exclamation points next to USB controllers.
No, I don't know if my other computer was USB 1 or USB 2 and there is no way for me to find out.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 02 January 2008 - 04:27 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,416 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2008 - 04:55 PM

A mouse which is nonstandard...probably has drivers which you need to install to use that mouse. You can check at the Belkin site and see if they have any downloadable drivers for your device.

Louis

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Topic Starter

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 02 January 2008 - 06:14 PM

hamluis, you are a genius. Silly me didn't even think about drivers. I found what I needed, installed, and am now a happy camper because my Belkin mouse is now working.
The reason I didn't think about drivers-when I bought it I just plugged into the USB port on my other computer and it worked right out of the package-never installed drivers for it.
In fact, it didn't even have a driver cd with it. So I figured it was a plug and play type thing.
Thanks for the info-I appreciate it.

(In addition to the back and forward buttons on the side of the mouse, it scrolls better, smoother, and faster)

The flash drive is now a non-issue. He had another one he used, and tomorrow he, his wife, and their daughter are leaving to return to their home.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 02 January 2008 - 08:40 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users