Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Programs To Keep And How To Partition Hd?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 hotshotspidey

hotshotspidey

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 PM

Posted 02 January 2008 - 12:47 PM

Hi All,

I got new Sony Vaio with Windows Vista Home Premium, 32 bit OS,140 GB HD and 1 GB RAM. N it has come with hell lot of junk software...I had uninstalled few of them already but before I proceed on cleanup mission (as 20GB space is already consumed 'coz of these s/w which I dont know or I might never even use) want to know what all I need to keep so that I can remove the junk?? Help is really apprciated!!

Also I have not got any CDs ..I mean drivers cd or OS cd ...do I need to ask them ?? Or is it that they just dont come these days??
I want to partion only drive that I have, how do I do that without OS cd? Plese guide me through the process.

Thanks a lot!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 02 January 2008 - 04:42 PM

Only you can tell what's needed and what's not. Just list the things that you're unsure of and we can make suggestions.

As for the CD's - they're not provided any longer (it's a cost saving measure). But you can make recovery CD's by going into Help and Support and clicking on the Sony Backup icon there (can't recall the exact name tho - but it's the icon on the lower right of the initial Help and Support window).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 hotshotspidey

hotshotspidey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2008 - 11:15 AM

Thanks for reply..Yeah /i have been doing it... AS I guess most of the softwares are junk s/w only!! But weird thing is as i am uninstalling s/w HD instead of increasing free space, its decreasing!!!! I mean it was 121 GB free space intially and after uninstalling lots of s/w iots 115GB free space :huh: I simply dont know why this is happening?? Even I had defragmented drive yesterday but no use...Can anyone tell me what should I check or do? Or where the hell the space is getting used???

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 03 January 2008 - 02:12 PM

Have you emptied your Recycle Bin and temporary files? Have you checked your System Restore settings?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 hotshotspidey

hotshotspidey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2008 - 08:43 PM

Yes i did empty recycle bin but still no clue what is eating up the HD space which should have been emptied!!!! And what exactly should I check in system restore setting,please elaborate that will be helpful!

Also I tried to partion my HD using Shrink partition option which allowed max space of 10 GB and i want to partition for at least 40 GB or fo more partitions but it does not allow to do more partition showing available space as 0 ...What should I do, please please help.

#6 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 AM

Posted 07 January 2008 - 08:58 PM

Any chance your computer is making automatic backups, possibly to your D drive? I've heard that some OEMs are set to default to that, which is really annoying, given that Vista Home Premium uses D for its restore files. Also, you mentioned having emptied your recycle bin but didn't say whether you had cleared the temp files.

Edited by Dialer, 07 January 2008 - 09:00 PM.

#7 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 PM

Posted 08 January 2008 - 02:59 PM

its your system restore creating a new restor point everytime you uninstall something,,,, vista uses way too much hard drive for system restore, on some machines as much as 40gig like mine, to get some back and reset how much restore uses take a look at this link
http://www.watchingthenet.com/how-to-reduc...em-restore.html
good luck
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#8 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 AM

Posted 08 January 2008 - 03:43 PM

Hi Figgis,

Great link! Thanks. :huh:

#9 hotshotspidey

hotshotspidey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2008 - 10:24 AM

Thanks ...the link is really good...

Yeah I did clear all temp files, along with emptying recycle bin..I had done defrag too so that to free up the space....N honestly I had partioned drive after uninstalling unnecessary programs...n before that it was single 141 GB drive ...n mysteriously every time I uninstalled s/w the space insted of being free , was getting used up....sp as per link I am guessing its same problem of space being used up for system restore...

I will try the solution discussed and see if I get lucky to get rid of untrackable space eater!!!

Thanks a ton you all :huh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users