Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dvi Cables

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 kimgeni

kimgeni

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 02 January 2008 - 10:33 AM

I just discovered that what I belived was a DVI cable (the seller bragged about the fact that the monitor had a DVI connection when I bought it 2 years ago, so I assumed it was DVI), actualy is a VGA cable, so Im thinking about getting a new DVI cable.
Are the quality difference between VGA and DVI large? Or will I just see it when it comes to advanced graphics?

As far as I can see, most video cards have DVI-I, while my LCD screen has DVI-D. Do I need a DVI-I DVI-D cable to get top quality, or will the quality bee the same with a DVI-D DVI-D cable? I've found the last cable (2 x DVI-D), but not the first.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 02 January 2008 - 03:46 PM

You would need a DVI-D to DVI-D cable. The DVI-I cable slot pin is slightly wider then the DVI-D so you can not simply remove the analog pins surrounding the slot pin. However the DVI-D slot pin is slightly smaller and the DVI-D connector does not have the analog pins so it will work in a DVI-I slot. The purpose of the DVI-I is to include the 4 analog pins so you can use a DVI-I to VGA adapter for those monitors that do not have digital input. As for your question what the difference is you can compare the two using the links at the end of the post.

Reference: Wikipedia DVI

Link: Wikipedia VGA

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 kimgeni

kimgeni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2008 - 11:36 AM

Thanks.

What I was thinking about, was one cable with both one DVI-I and one DVI-D connector, but this is perhaps called an adapter or a cable + an adapter.
Is a DVI-D cable the best solution?

Does anyone know if there's a notable difference between low end and high end cables? I've seen cables with triple protection, gold, and oxygeen free cobber that are 4 and 5 times as expensive as a low price cable I found.

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2008 - 01:18 PM

If they make them theres no point in the DVI-I to DVI-D cable since the extra pins on the DVI-I wont be present on the DVI-D connector. As for the difference in cable types it depends on how far away from the video source the monitor is. In a general computer application most any cable type will work.

Chad Mockensturm 

#5 kimgeni

kimgeni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2008 - 01:00 PM

OK then, low price cable here I come.

I was thinking about connecting my PC to the TV as well, so do you know anything about DVI boosters? (Because the cable will be longer than 5 m).

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2008 - 03:51 PM

They make them but they look expensive a quick google search found this. I did find some cheaper on Newegg.com I've never used one so I don't know whats best to get.

Chad Mockensturm 

#7 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 PM

Posted 08 January 2008 - 08:57 AM

I posted something similar a few months ago, worth looking at, click here.

Hope that helps!
If all else fails, hit the reset button.
Posted Image

#8 kimgeni

kimgeni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2008 - 01:48 PM

Thanks. :thumbsup:

You're right, they are a bit expensive. I'd better do some more research, and perhaps move the computer closer to the TV.

I went to my local store and asked for a cable to connect my DVI-I video card to my DVI-D screen. The woman looked at me like I'd just asked her the if she could hand me a spaceship. In fact, none of the 3 biggest suppliers of electronics in Norway sell DVI cables, even though they've been selling LCD screens for several years. I've found a cable in another store, however one would expect the top 3 to have such cables. Is it just Norway, or is everyone this slow? We're sitting here with our LCDs and HD TVs with VGA cables and analogue signals - thinking: wohoo this is quality! :huh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users