Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Hangs/freezes Badly

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Tamd

Tamd

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 02 January 2008 - 10:22 AM

Hi there,
I am hoping someone can help me. I have been experiencing Interent issues now for quiet some time. We have always run XP on this system and use dial up. We were running IE 6 and then to IE 7. We then went back to IE 6. This internet issues stayed consistent with both. We have reset the settings, we have disabled all add ons. I purchased a new Anti virus Avanquest Suite 8, and it i can't update the Antivirus Definitions because the hanging is so bad that keep getting disconnected from the internet... We have gotten all Microsoft updates and it hasn't helped at all....i am at a loss on this....
Thanks for any assistance
Tamd

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 02 January 2008 - 11:49 AM

Sounds like it is time for you to try Mozilla Firefox as a web browser. It is much more secure and dosnt crash as much as Internet Explorer.

Gavin Seabrook

#3 Tamd

Tamd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2008 - 02:17 PM

But i am confused. I run it on our second PC and don't have this issue. How do I get rid of Explorer and use this browser?

Thanks a bunch!!
Tamd

#4 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 02 January 2008 - 03:17 PM

you have not mentioned who your ISP is and what protection if any they provide for you ; what WAS your previous antivirus protection?

have you also updated to service pack 2?

and there are FREE antivirus programs out there if you would like recommendations :thumbsup:

you mention a second computer; one presumes BOTH are on dial up and run separately?

#5 Tamd

Tamd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2008 - 10:08 AM

oh i am sorry. When the freezing started we were running Norton's sys works. Then we purchased Norton's 360 which was a BIG mistake....both computers were affected by that.... now we have Avanquest System suite 8. And yes, they both have all current MS updates including SP2.
Both PCs are on dialup and we use Juno with speed band.
I have just sucessfully updated the new antivirus in my second pc and it seems to work nicely. I am almost wondering if the only way to get the second pc right is to do a non destructive recovery....it is a hurtin puppy...lol..

#6 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 03 January 2008 - 03:47 PM

one does know that Dear Norton and computers really are NOT a good mix?

I suspect you did not use the appropriate Norton removal tool
from here

and you just MIGHT wanna go wiv a free antivirus program

such as avg7.5 or avast

I THINK that your problem may BE that you have not gotten rid of norton ?

if you have problems and also think you just MIGHT be infected due to all this ( which is NOT beyond the bounds of possibility)you can always post a log for the guys to check out for you

try the Norton removal tool ; also can you see if the computer will let you run an on line scan with trend from

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
on dial up it just might take a few moments to load up;

also a scan with
superantispyware blue box free for home users
http://www.superantispyware.com/superantis...efreevspro.html fully update it and run on a full deep scan ; it just possible that you have caught a cold

acchhoouuu :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users