Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sounds Of A Mobo Crash?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 txishome

txishome

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 AM

Posted 02 January 2008 - 08:44 AM

Good morning, everyone. Happy New Year.

Right to the point...I have an 11 month old HP laptop. I think it's about to crash. I've spent the weekend running all the scans I can find and even reformatted the hard drive, but it's still doing the infamous blue screen at least once a day. It's also making a crackling sound. Does that mean anything? I'm so disappointed that I'm having this trouble already. What's the point in spending so much money to have this kind of hassle? Grrrr. Also HP has Total Care Advisor and it says it's perfectly healthy. Sure. And why would this "Total Care" advisor screen say that Drive D is 91% full? There is less than 20% of this computer being used. What's on Drive D?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 AM

Posted 02 January 2008 - 12:40 PM

Drive 'D' should be HP's recovery partition. Are you making backups and saving them to that partition?

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 AM

Posted 02 January 2008 - 04:40 PM

I suspect this is a driver issue - but since it's the 11th month, I'd suggest you get it checked out by HP before the warranty lapses.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 txishome

txishome
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 AM

Posted 03 January 2008 - 06:45 AM

It died. HP is sending me a new hard drive (FedEx overnite) for me to replace it. They were very helpful and accomodating. Is it difficult for a novice to replace the hard drive? I sure wouldn't want to screw it up after all this!

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 AM

Posted 03 January 2008 - 07:51 AM

Replacing the hard drive is easy, but restoring the OS may be more difficult (depending on what HP sends on the hard drive). HP has been good at providing detailed instructions on system recovery (IME) - but I've never received a hard drive from them.

Remove your battery and unplug the system from the wall
Unscrew the screws for the hard drive cover on the bottom of the case (usually marked with 3 or 4 overlapping circles near the screws)
Carefully remove the hard drive cover (it usually has little tips that hold it in place)
Most HP's have a black plastic tab that you can pull on to either lift the hard drive out - or to slide it away from the connectors and then lift it out.
The hard drive will be inside that "cage" - usually held in with 4 screws (2 on each side). There also may be a removable plastic connector over the pins on the hard drive where it slides into the receptacle in the case (compare the new hard drive to the old one to see if this is the case).

Remove the old hard drive from the cage and insert the new hard drive (being careful about static electricity)- then put it back in the case. Ensure that it's fully seated.
Close up the case, put the battery back in, and plug it into the wall.

Turn it on and see what happens....

If HP provided you with a drive with the OS preinstalled - it should guide you through the setup process.
If HP provided you with a bare drive (with no OS preinstalled) - you'll get some message about not being able to boot or no hard drive being recognized. At that point you'll have to insert your recovery/restore disk and reboot the computer to boot from the disk.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users