Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Restore Point

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 DHL

DHL

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 02 January 2008 - 06:26 AM

Hi

I just noticed that my system restore point is only showing points for the last 5 days. I am somewhat concerned as to why that should be. Under the impression/opinion that it should go back (show) much further than that.

Tks for input as to a possible solution

DHL

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2008 - 07:03 AM

There are a few things that can determine how many restore points Windows will save.

Go into your settings for System Restore and see how much disk space you've allotted for it. I've got mine set on 2% and have a restore point script in my start up to create one on my first boot of the day. I forget what the default is, but System Restore usually makes automatic backups every 24 hours or something like that. If I don't make many manual restore points in addition to the automatic restore points, I can have two weeks or so in my calendar before the older ones start dropping off.

How much space does you installation of XP with all your programs take up? The size of your main drive can affect how many restore points you can hold, even if you've allotted a large percentage of disk space for system restore. My OS and programs are just under 5 GB. I use partitions for my game installations, and miscellaneous data storage, so C drive doesn't get too big. That way it never takes more than one or two DVD's to make a Ghost backup of my Operating System. I don't include the partitions in my system restore backups. I can always reinstall the games if necessary. And important data on the partitions is also backed up to cd for added protection against a complete meltdown of my hdd.

As a final note, five days is probably adequate anyway. If you do a lot of things on your computer, ie adding and removing lots of software programs and things like that, going back farther than 5 days would probably cause more problems than it helps and you'll begin to see a lot of messages that Windows was unable to restore your system, or get lots of renamed files and folders.

If you are really concerned about losing something important, like your emails and the files in My Documents, you'd be better off making backups of them to a cd/dvd on a regular basis.

#3 bicycle bill

bicycle bill

• Banned
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2008 - 07:52 PM

Hi

I just noticed that my system restore point is only showing points for the last 5 days. I am somewhat concerned as to why that should be. Under the impression/opinion that it should go back (show) much further than that.

DHL

I don't want to insult your intelligence but are you aware that you can go back to the previous month? I hate to admit it but I had my PC for several months before I was aware of that option.

#4 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2008 - 08:51 PM

Hi

DHL

I don't want to insult your intelligence but are you aware that you can go back to the previous month? I hate to admit it but I had my PC for several months before I was aware of that option.

Oh, Lordy! I forgot about that. I'll bet at least 75% of Windows users have been caught on it too. LOL!

#5 DHL

DHL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2008 - 05:20 AM

Hi Mommabear

Tks for your input. Just for yr info, my skin is rather thick so u have not offended me at all. I did go back to the previous month, Anyway, reading btwn the lines I am assuming the reason why so few restore points are being shown is bcs my setting being shown is 1%. Can you pls cnfm my assumption is correct.

Tks

#6 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2008 - 05:41 AM

Yes, I can confirm that. I would think 5 days sounds about right for 1% space allocation. That actual size of storage available is also determined by the size of your hdd/partition for the OS. For example, my 120GB hdd is divided into 3 partitions. C is approximately 32GB.

At my 2% I end up with 563 MB allocated. And as stated, the size of the OS setup with all your individual program installations can also affect the actual number/days of restore points available.

If you really think you need more than 5 days of restore points, dial it up another 1 or 2% and then watch it and see how much your calendar fills up. Just remember, the more disc space you give to System Restore, the less disc space you have for your OS and what you want to do with it.

#7 DHL

DHL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2008 - 07:50 AM

Hi Mommabear

Your explanation fully understood. Will endeavour to leave current settings.

Enjoy the 2008

DHL

#8 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2008 - 10:26 AM

:thumbsup:

Thank you.
A good New Year to you and yours too!