Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Intermittent But Frequent Reboot.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 stevalical

stevalical

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 02 January 2008 - 04:20 AM

Hi Guys, hope you can help me, I've searched the forums but cant find a problem exactly like mine! I've been running my system for about 8 months without problems but now its developed the most annoying fault which manifests itself in a system reboot when ever it feels like it. It matters not what I'm doing, whether accessing the internet, downloading files or working off line the bleeping thing just reboots. There seems no reason for the reboot which can occur whilst the system is starting up, equally it starts OK runs for anything between 5 mins and 2 hours then reboots. I've checked he fans and temperatures and they're fine (running at about 35 degrees?) and donít know where to turn. Any suggestions?
Happy New Year by the way!
Cheers
Steve

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 02 January 2008 - 05:58 AM

Have a look in the Event Viewer for any errors at the time of the reboots.

To open the Event Viewer go to Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer. Alternately, go to Start > Run and type in "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

Check in all the categories (Application, Security, System and Internet Explorer).

If you find an error that occurred at the time right-click on it and select properties. Copy the information in the window and post it back here. This will help us diagnose your problem.

How To Use the Event Viewer
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 tswsl1989

tswsl1989

• Members
  • 260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 02 January 2008 - 06:25 AM

Any messages when the computer restarts? i.e "System has recovered from a serious error", that sort of thing?

You may want to try this:
Shut down your PC (or wait for it to reboot)
Before the Windows XP loading screen appears, press F8 (repeatedly if necessary) until you see a menu. If yuo get the Windows XP logo, you've missed yuor chance.

Select "Disable Automatic Restart..[blah]", press Enter
If you get a blue screen with white text instead of your computer rebooting, post the message here, in particular the number after the word STOP: e.g STOP 0x000000E2

The information should be in the event log, but it doesn't always get put there.
Tom

Tswsl1989
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

#4 stevalical

stevalical
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2008 - 03:34 AM

Thanks guys, appreciate your help. I ran the event log and there's no record of the error, the only errors over the last week or so were a couple of "hangs", one from windows media player and one other minor application, but nothing for the reboots. I've switched off the auto restart as advised but despite running it all night the bleeping thing hasnít rebooted since! Please watch this space.
Cheers
Steve

#5 stevalical

stevalical
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2008 - 09:25 AM

Hi Guys
Me again, things have been good since I first posted this problem but now its returned with a vengance and we cannot use the pc for any length of time without the damn thing rebooting, any further/new thoughts?
Cheers
Steve

#6 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,301 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 13 June 2008 - 09:31 AM

Have you ever blown the dust out of the machine?

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,076 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2008 - 05:43 AM

Have you checked the fans inside the case (presuming this is a desktop)? In particular, have you checked the fan on the video card (if so equipped)?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 stevalical

stevalical
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2008 - 02:36 AM

Thanks for the response guys, yes I regularly remove the dust from the internals with both an air canister and mini extension the vacuum cleaner and yes I've checked the internal fans and gave them a good clean. The most annoying thing with this fault is that it is genuinely intermittent, i.e. some days it never happens like Saturday when it operated faultlessly for 6 hours and then on others itís impossible the use. I'm about to give up and replace the whole thing!

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,076 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2008 - 05:27 AM

If you use a vacuum cleaner to clean out the system, be very, very careful not to touch the components with the wand. Static electricity is generated when the vacuum is running and can travel up the wand and cause some of the delicate components inside the case to stop working.

Does anything inside the case feel warm (be careful to unplug it and ground yourself on the case) when you get near to it (DON'T actually touch the components)?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users