Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Conection

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 wavemaker

wavemaker

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 02 January 2008 - 02:20 AM

Gooday and happy new year from the land down under. I am having a little trouble getting mt wifes wireless connection going again. We had visitors over on the weekend and we believe that one of the kids knocked off the usb wireless adapter. So I went and bought a new one today, went thru the install process and re-fired the puter. The connection shows up as working and then drops out, comes back and drops out again. In my office where the router is all is working well and we had no trouble with wireless connection before. The puter has AMD Sempron processor 2600+, 1.60ghz,704mb ram. and is running XP home fully up to date. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Regards, James.
When The Going Gets Weird, The Weird Turn Pro. (H.S.T.)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2008 - 05:57 AM

Have a look in the Event Viewer for any errors at the time the connection drops.

To open the Event Viewer go to Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer. Alternately, go to Start > Run and type in "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

Check in all the categories (Application, Security, System and Internet Explorer).

If you find an error that occurred at the time right-click on it and select properties. Copy the information in the window and post it back here. This will help us diagnose your problem.

How To Use the Event Viewer
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 wavemaker

wavemaker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2008 - 08:12 PM

Thanks for that Budapest. There is nothing in event viewer to tell me what is wrong. Not sure if I made myself clear in my first post. It is like I was at the power switch at the other end and flicking it on and off every few seconds. Also, when I turned the puter on this morning after about half an hour it made a sound and told me the connection was established. But this only lasted for a minute or so. I have the machine hard wired at the moment so my wife can use her email etc. Would it make a difference if the router and adapter are different brands?

#4 wavemaker

wavemaker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2008 - 07:28 PM

Thanks again, this issue is now resolved, it was a password issue. The woman at Netgear was the most helpful help person I have ever come across.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users