Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Erasing Vista And Installing Xp

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cplkittle

cplkittle

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 02 January 2008 - 01:00 AM

I bought my wife an emachine model # w3629 for Christmas, and I can not find one single thing I like about Vista or any of the dozens of junk trial edition programs and games that were preinstalled on this machine. So I purchased a full windows XP Media Cnter edition, sp2b to install on her computer. I know enough about computers to get me in trouble, but some of the acronyms I don't understand, and don't have time to research. I am ready to install this OS, but after doing a little research I found that some forums talk about backup SATA drives and all kinds of crap. Do I need all of this stuff?

What I want to do is:
Erase Vista entirely
remove all partitions on the hard drive
Install XP and be happy.

How do I do this?
Please explain in layman's terms :huh:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JacksonT

JacksonT

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 AM

Posted 02 January 2008 - 02:41 AM

All you need to do is use the CD/DVD you bought with XP on it and install it but if it asks you to do a dual boot answer no. Backup SATA hard drives means using a external hard drive backing up anything you want to keep because by installing XP you are formatting the hard drive which deletes everything on it so if there is anything on the hard drive you want you need to use a external hard drive/thumb drive/CDs/DVDs

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 02 January 2008 - 08:20 AM

If you install XP and don't have the SATA drivers there is a chance that your system won't recognize your hard drive (because the SATA drivers are necessary for Windows to operate on your hard drive.

FWIW - installing XP will also void your eMachines warranty.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 cplkittle

cplkittle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2008 - 08:07 PM

I set the computer to boot from the disk drive, then installed XP media center.
I have problems though... Halfway through the installation it asks for XP Professional service pack 2 disk. I thought I had the sp2 edition. So my mother in law got me a copy from her work of the windows XP service pack 2 for xp home, pro, media center, and pc. I inserted this disk, and it did not recognize it as the SP2 disk it was looking for. It said can not locate IEXPLORE.... SO I finished the installation anyway and then installed the sp2.

Now, I have 2 more problems. There are no icons on the desktop until I switch to classic view. The internet explorer icon does not work. When I click on it it brings up the " open with " window. Obviously because it previously told me that it could not find IEXPLORE.

The other problem is when I run the Media center updates disk that came from microsoft with the 2 install disks, I get an error:
MCInstaller.exe - Unable to locate component
This application has failed to start because SRCLIENT.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

What is going on here?

#5 benhanson

benhanson

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2008 - 02:11 PM

cplkittle,

My story is almost equal to yours...i found nothing to like about Vista, so I switched back to Windows XP Media Center edition. And, just like you during the installation, after discs one and two, it asked for the service pack 2 disk, which i obviously didn't have, so I just decided to skip it, and it then finished the installation and everything seems alright, but just like you when I insert the 2005 update disc, the same MCInstaller error comes up.

In addition, my big problem is that I cannot get the computer to recognize my internal wireless PCI card. I even uninstalled and reinstalled the driver for it and it says that it is working properly, only it's NOT! In fact, none of my networking stuff shows up. I go to Network Places and there is nothing, no LAN, no WLAN, no anything.

I know your post was back in January...did you ever find a solution?

Ben

#6 ~PrEmIuM~

~PrEmIuM~

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 25 August 2008 - 11:38 PM

hmm your problem is very intresting NOW..Format your drive :huh:

Edited by ~PrEmIuM~, 25 August 2008 - 11:40 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users